An early Thanksgiving

Last weekend, my mom's side of the family got together for an early Thanksgiving. We do a brunch before Thanksgiving because my family goes to my dad's side of the family on Turkey Day. It's a nice change so we don't have stuffed bellies a few days in a row. Plus, I prefer breakfast foods over dinner.

My contribution to the meal was a classic gingerbread from the Splendid Table cookbook.

My grandpa (gramps) proclaimed this the best gingerbread he'd ever tasted!

I may not be cooking my way through the entire cookbook like I vowed, but at least I've made one recipe!

The feast to include: gingerbread, cheesie potatoes, eggs, my aunt's delicious coffee cake, ham, turkey, cranberry, olives and pumpkin pie.

Grams cutting her pumpkin pie because it's not Thanksgiving without pie!

The gang's all here...mom, dad, grandparents, cousins, brothers, girlfriends and manfriend

The manfriend and his hot beverage.

After a belly-stuffing brunch, the manfriend and I drove home and bundled up for a cold, wet 22 mile ride around town with a pit stop for coffee. It felt good to get our spin on after an indulgent morning.

Does your family do Thanksgiving the traditional way or do you put a little spin on it?

On Thursday, I'll be heading to our local Turkey Stuffer 5K (where I PR'd last yr) and then we'll head over to the Oregon coast where my dad's parents live. My grandma makes a traditional Thanksgiving dinner and all the pies and cookies herself. It's pretty impressive. In fact, I'm positive she's already begun the cooking process (she usually bakes and freezes the cookies 1 week ahead of time).

Thank goodness for grandmas! I'm not sure what will happen in the future because the thought of prepping and cooking a Turkey and several side dishes kind of terrifies me. But I'm sure I could tackle the challenge if necessary.

Comments

Yum - that bread looks awesome!

We do a traditional Thanksgiving meal on Thanksgiving Day. I am so so so excited for it. All 4 of my siblings will be home. Can't wait!
Heather C said…
Thanksgiving BRUNCH is such a good idea! I'm definitely more of a breakfast-foods fan, and could also go for some a.m. pumpkin pie ;) Smart family.
Amber said…
Aww that looks fun! Good job on the gingerbread cake too :)

Popular Posts