On the Trail again...

Today I rounded up a group of the runners to head out to the McKenzie River Trail about an hour from Eugene. It was the perfect day for it. Drizzly, but not too cool and the trees offered enough coverage to keep us dryish.

The trail is perfect because it runs along the river with beautiful views AND it's fairly flat. I do love running trails, but in Eugene most of the trails have some serious incline and for some reason I tend to stay away from them. I'm hoping to change that this winter. Hills? Yes, please!

I ran about 8-9 miles in 1 hr 23 min. By the last 20 minutes I was getting a bit lazy and started hitting rocks and partially rolling my ankles or stepping into puddles. My right hamstring was seizing up near the end. I should really do something about that...ugh. Sometimes it seems easier to ignore an injury that isn't stopping you in your tracks, but I know I should do some serious stretching and foam rolling

It just so happened that the trail we ran on was near a hot springs so we had planned to hop in afterward. It was the perfect way to relax our tired muscles, even if they would have preferred an ice pack. I didn't take any pics, but use your imagination.

On a random note, I'm thinking about getting these cozy slippers from LLBean for the winter.

Are you a slipper person? Or a sock person? Or the barefoot type? I'm a sock girl, but Jonah Bell's black hair gets all over my socks and slippers would be pretty cozy...

Winter just demands coziness in my opinion. I crave hoodies and sweats and leap for cuddly sweaters in the stores.

Comments

Amber said…
I miss running but I REALLY miss trail running - my favourite kind of running. Can't wait to get back out there, sounds like it was a great run today :-)

Those slippers are super cute! I'm not really a slipper person but maybe if I had a cute pair I would be!
Amber, I hope your foot heals soon! I know how agonizing it can be when you're forced to NOT do the one thing you WANT to do. Yes, that's what I'm thinking...i could become a slipper person for cute slippers. ;)
Anonymous said…
Hi Lauren!
I ran across your blog on the healthy living blog website. Your trail run sounds like it was really fun! I live in Eugene and I have hiked on the trail but never run on it before (however I love running on trails). I run on the Ridgeline trails a lot.
Cute slippers :) I wear slippers in the winter because I'm always cold.
Lindsey
I am a slipper person but also like to wear socks. I have some inexpensive slippers from Target that I love. They have a faux fur lining so they are nice and cozy. :)
Run Jess Run said…
I have those exact slippers in purple. They are fantastic!!
siri said…
Would you believe it, those are THE VERY slippers I asked for for Christmas? Only in blue. Fingers's crossed their somewhere over The Atlantic right now bound to sit under my Christmas (that is, if my mom took my hints...)
RunningOnCoffee said…
I love trail running! A lot of my running isn't trail like you described, but on dirt and/or gravel paths through a nearby park.

What do you do for a tight hamstring? I had never had that happen before, until around mile 10 of my 2nd half marathon about two months ago. Hasn't happened since, but it really took me by surprise!

I'm mostly a barefoot person; slippers when it's colder though.

I love hoodies too. After a really hot July (pretty consistent high in the 90s) this summer I was SO ready for a nice cool hoodie day :)

Popular Posts