Walking a fine line

The last month or so, it feels like I'm constantly walking a fine line between almost healthy and sick. I'm not really sure why.

I find myself tired with a scratchy throat, sneezing or blowing my nose at all times of the day. Thus begins the cycle of downing Emergen-C, sleeping extra, running shorter mileage, etc.

Tonight, I opted to head home to spin rather than run 5 miles out in the cold with the running group. 1 hr later and a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving watched, I was drenched with sweat and warm.

Things I'm doing right:
sleeping 8-9 hrs most nights
exercising 1 hr per day
eating healthyish
drinking plenty of water
yoga when I can

Where I'm falling short:
Stressing
Spending on things I don't need
Being/Running in the cold without enough layers
Foam rolling

I'm not sure exactly what's going on. My left lower eyelid has been twitching for 3 weeks now. In an effort to get in the holiday spirit, stay calm and ward off any sickness, I'm going to work on those areas I'm falling short.

In addition, I'm going to challenge myself to 25 Days of Yoga. Who wants to join me? The deal is, from Dec. 1-25 you have to spend anywhere from one pose to an entire podcast or yoga class each day. Some days, I'm entirely positive it will simply mean holding one pose for a minute or two. And other days, 30-60 minutes.

Another thing I want to get back to doing is journaling. There's something about writing out your stream of consciousness and inner most thoughts that helps the creative juices flow. It also helps me get to a better place mentally feel like I'm working through stuff rather than just letting it sit and brew. Do you journal or write out your occasional musings somewhere?

Okay, I'm off to eat health food in the form of Joe Joe's ice cream. That's right...Trader Joe's made ice cream with those delish peppermint oreos I was raving about.

Comments

I think the 25 day yoga challenge is a great idea. Esp w/ all the stress that seems to surround the holidays. I should try to do taht with you and find some podcasts to do in the morning. would be a good way to start my day...

I do not journal.. it is something I liek to do but don't make the time to do... I am good about doing it when I travel, but that's it unfortunately...
Stress is probably a big factor there - and the cold running w/o layers! Warm up, girl! :)

I'm definitely IN for the Yoga challenge - hold me accountable somehow! And I think TJ's owns anything peppermint and chocolate. I'm rationing our Peppermint Bark the 'rents gave us last weekend, since we have no TJ's here. It is SO so delicious.
liz said…
I really want to get into yoga again, but I don't think i know enough poses to do it for a month! Can you post some resources? I'm so mad I missed out on the groupon code for some yoga classes in Vancouver, argh, do you go in portland or just on your own?

Also, I am so bad at keeping a journal. Maybe I should do an online one since I'm always on it!
Liz-I'll post some resources tonight or tomorrow. I live in Eugene so I don't take classes in Portland. Most of the yoga I do is at home along with podcasts, but sometimes i go to a class. We also do yoga in the Lifeforce Fit class I go to each Wed.

Heather-I'll try to keep you accountable!
Lindsey said…
One of my favorite online yoga places is yogatoday.com. Beautiful scenery, wonderful instructors, and a weekly free class (I'm from Jackson Hole - how can I not love it?!)
I highly recommend restorative yoga for you, Lauren. With the holidays, the cold weather, etc, a rejuvenating class sounds like it might really help boost your immune system and slow your stress hormones down a bit. Have you ever tried a restorative class?
I would LOVE to do a 25 day challenge, and will definitely get my sis on board too! Thanks for the idea.
Run Jess Run said…
I need to get back into journaling...weird thing is that it bugs my hubby when I do it.
Amber said…
I am doing a 30-day hot yoga challenge starting January 10! Can't wait!

I should really get in the habit of starting my day off with a few vinayasa's though! I have been trying to do planks + pushups in the mornings. When I remember anyways.
Unknown said…
My eye always twitches when I'm stressed and don't get enough sleep. It is super annoying.
Laura said…
Love the yoga challenge idea, but I got way too behind on blogs to participate. Will look forward to reading more and seeing how it's going for you though!

Popular Posts