Recovery week

I thought it would be fun to put up a short recap of how my week after the marathon distance went. Typically, I take it easier the few days following a marathon, but don't always input enough rest. Last week, I think I did well at focusing on active recovery.

Monday - hot yoga @ Zenspot + short walk

Tuesday - am yoga + bike commute + pedicure (part of my recovery for my feet's sake)

Wednesday - am yoga + bike commute + Lifeforce (strength only, we didn't do any crazy burpees/sprinting)

Thursday - am core + 6.5 mile speed workout

Friday - am strength + EASY 4.5 mile run (tried to run slower than marathon pace)

Saturday - power yoga @ Lifeforce, 20 min bike trainer

Sunday - 6 mile run (with walk breaks bc I ran too close after bkfst)

Monday through Wednesday, I made a conscious effort not to do anything that inflicted pounding on my joints. I think bike commuting really helped work out the soreness and incorporating yoga (including 2 live classes, not podcasts) was a great way to work on active recovery and get everything stretched out.

Thursday, I probably went a little harder than I should have at our group speed session, but my body was just ready to run.

Also, I thought I'd mention that I don't currently have a gym membership at the University Rec Center. I decided to forgo it this term so I could justify a five punch class of hot yoga. Scary when five classes of yoga is more expensive than a 12 week gym membership! I'm sure its costs a pretty penny to keep the yoga studio heated to 100 degrees.

While I do love the hot yoga on occasion, I really love having access to the pool, a full weight room and nice cardio machines that are close to work. I will definitely renew my gym membership next term so I can get back to some of my cross training activities I love.

What one fitness or health related activity/item do you think is worth your money? I'm always of the mindset that good workout gear (clothes and shoes) and a gym membership are worth it. And if the class is right, I'll cough up the dough. ;)

Comments

quality running shoes & good work out clothes. Also, I will be spending $75 to do a 4 month running club w/ coaches & 3 organized workouts/week. I think that will be more than worth it!
Raquelita said…
Quality shoes, my YMCA membership, and a couple of race registration fees a season are well worth it for me! I hope the pedicure felt fantastic!

Popular Posts