Lemon Zesty Blueberry Scones

If you like blueberry and the summer tartness of a little lemon, then these scones are right up your alley. I bought a huge bag of blueberries last weekend at Costco and I had a lemon that needed to be used so I dreamt up these beauties.

This recipe is adapted from Oh She Glows' Royal Wedding Scones.

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oat flour (I processed 1 cup rolled oats in food processor until flour consistency was achieved)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup non fat plain yogurt + 1 Tbsp maple syrup
3-4 tbsp non-dairy milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
1 lemon (1 tsp zest of lemon, 1-2 Tbsp juice)
Turbinado sugar, for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat. With a food processor, process 1 cup of rolled oats until a flour consistency is achieved. In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, oat flour, sugar, lemon zest, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Grate cold butter into flour mixture incorporate until just crumbly. Do not overmix.

2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the yogurt + maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice and non-dairy milk. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. If dough is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. Remove blueberries from freezer (unless using fresh) and stir gently into the batter until just mixed. Be careful not to overmix or they will bleed.

3. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter (or one handful) per scone onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a few inches between each. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for about 20 minutes at 375F until slightly golden in color. Makes about eight scones.

Like Angela, I didn't go to the trouble of rolling out and shaping these into a "proper" scone triangle. They still taste amazing and I really love the sweet oat flavor they have.



Next time I would try using 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, but I totally forgot I had any. Have you made scones before? I find they're often touchy because they can easily become too hard if you overmix. But these turned out perfectly.

The next scone recipe on my mind is Grapefruit Honey Yogurt Scones from Joy the Baker. Doesn't that just scream summer? Mmm...

And because it's that time of year, The Transplanted Baker's May Day Buns have been popping into my head every few days. Or perhaps it's that 10 lb bag of blueberries sitting in my freezer? Either way, I'm not complaining.

Okay, I'm off to run and then put on capris to will that sun to come out. After all, it is Memorial Day weekend! I have dreams of grilling, but I'm not sure mother nature is going to comply.

*My apologies for the flash full photos. I made these last night and it was dark. No natural night available.

Comments

Lindsey said…
Those look really good. I have never tried making scones before. I have a bunch of blueberries right now too so maybe I'll get on it this weekend!
I've never made scones! I wonder how they would be with GF flour. It would probablhy work since scones are sort of dense... I am always impmressed with what you bake. Manfriend is a lucky, lucky man!

Popular Posts