A Lesson in not Tanking

Because it was a beautiful day here in Eugene, I opted to ride my bike to work. Additionally, next week is the bike commute challenge so I'm getting myself mentally prepared to bike as often as I can.

The manfriend had a bike race thingy also known as a TT or time trial after work. I decided it would be a nice night to trek the nine miles out to the course to say hi. The manfriend wasn't set to start the 15 mile course until 7:01 pm so after a little chit chatting with some friends, I opted to make the 9.5 mile ride home.

In addition to riding to work, I opted to take advantage of the sun and run four miles at lunch. Because of this, I think my body was burning all day long. As a sweat and adrenaline addict, there's one thing I know for sure: ALWAYS carry extra food with you.

Because I know my body and it's fuel needs, I munched on a part of my new favorite Luna bar: chocolate dipped coconut prior to leaving work. I had another few chunks after arriving at the course and finally the last few bites before heading home.

A few miles later, I started to get the low sugar shakes both inside and out. You know those, right? When you have them while riding on a road bike in traffic, it's extremely concerning. I pulled over a few minutes later and downed the mini peppermint chocolate Luna bar I had snagged from a race.

Moral of the story: don't second guess yourself. Always carry an extra bar or piece of food, even if you don't think you'll need it. Because when you need it, you REALLY need it.

The rest of my ride home was fairly uneventful and dare I say peaceful? I rode over the fancy new bike bridge that crosses the highway.


And you better believe I downed a green smoothie and leftover enchiladas upon arriving home.

Look how pretty the azaleas are right now in our back yard? I love how brilliant the colors are. Jonah Bell says hi!

In other news, you NEED to make these lasagna style enchiladas. They are too die for. Thanks to Bobbi for passing on her drool worthy cinco de mayo dinner!

I made them last night and loved the layering effect. I opted to forego the chicken and rolled with pinto and black beans, bell pepper, onion, olives and the necessary enchilada sauce, tortillas, cheese and avocado. These will make your tummy happy in no time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find more food for the manfriend. Dailymile says he burned 1700+ calories during his cycling today.

Comments

Nice work! I think it's great that you are able to bike to work. That would be pretty scary/difficult for me! Alot of people in Minneapolis do bike to work, though. For now I will just continue to take the bus, but I look forward to the day when I was WALK to work. :)
Emily said…
yessss! girl scout cookie in granola bar form! my fave.

i ALWAYS carry extra food on me...usually a lot of it.
Amber said…
I really need to get on the biking to work train more. It's the biking HOME (aka all uphill) that concerns me though. Sigh.

And yes, I know the feeling of being HUNGRY and getting shaky. Would NOT be good when your on a bike!
NICE way to take advantage of a beautiful sunny day :) My bike ride to work would only be ~1.3 miles; I've actually been walking a few times a week because it's so easy, plus I don't have to put everything in a backpack!

As for the hunger shakes, I've definitely been there on a bike and it is NOT a demon you want to fight. Way to be semi-prepared ;)
H-Walking to work sounds GLORIOUS! I'd love to do that but it would take me nearly 2 hrs. Hahaha.

Popular Posts