Bike Commuting for a Week

Several weeks ago, I recommitted myself to the Business Commute Challenge in which a local organization encourages citizens to bike, walk, carpool or telecommute for a week in May.

Last year, I think I was able to commute three of the five days, but this year, in the midst of moving into a new building, I managed to ride all five days! To be honest, I wasn't sure I could make it happen because of motivation, hassle and timing, but it all worked out. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to recap the week in riding to work and give you a few of my observations.

Because I no longer have a good place to store it at work, I wasn't able to ride my nice bike and instead rode my heavy Giant mountain bike from the high school days. While it's not perfect, it worked just fine and only took me about 5 minutes longer than it would have on my Trek road bike.

Overall, my mornings still allowed for a little exercise (yoga, weight lifting, dog walking), breakfast and lunch prep and a shower. I simply had to be more focused and get out the door by a specific time. No dilly dallying allowed.

The pros of bike commuting include: a relaxed, heart pumping way to get to and from work, not creating carbon emissions and hassle free parking.

The cons: time consuming, sweat inducing, requires minimalist packing skills which I lack, harder to do errands and inconvenient when the weather is poor.

Oh and you look a wee bit nerdy when you get to work. Friday I wore cords instead of athletic pants to ride in.


Supplies for bike commuting:
helmet
tennis shoes/cycling shoes for clip in pedals
athletic wear (so you don't sweat in your work clothes)
backpack
work clothes
wash cloth
hair brush
makeup/accessories
deodorant
ID/$$/keys
lunch & snacks
water bottle

Friday after work, I headed a few miles out of my way just to stop by the commute challenge booth to get some snacks and sign up to win some cool prizes.



One of the tv stations was there filming this kid riding the bike that powered the blender.

Observations this week: Riding home from work is perfect because it allows you to decompress after a long stressful day. I don't like carrying a lot of "stuff" with me. Cycling leads to a slower paced life. I can't just stop at a random store to browse for no reason or pick up extra items at the grocery store. It's all about the essentials.

Riding to and from work each day also brought me a different view of my community and I found myself feeling more in touch with the city and the people because there wasn't the barrier of a car between me and the world.

Overall, I enjoyed my week bike commuting although it won't be a full time method of transportation for me. There are days when I have errands to run after work, dressy meetings or events that require me to have a vehicle. And honestly, I also like the convenience of a car at times. It's what allows me to pack 52 things into one day. ;)

When you use alternative modes of transportation, do you find yourself thinking differently and noticing things you've never seen before? I commend those of you who walk, bike or bus it regularly.

Comments

J said…
I swear I am going to try to run to work...soon. At least before it gets way too hot. Or maybe run home from work...I am still working on it! lol Great job riding to work all five days! That takes a lot of planning for sure!
Amber said…
It's bike to work week in BC the week after next week so I'm going to try and bike to and from work AT LEAST 3 days that week. The thing for me is my city is not super bike friendly (almost no bike lanes) and I also have to bike UP a GIANT HILL to get home from work. My bike ride to work is about 4 miles and 2.5 miles of those miles are a constant uphill climb on the way home - so that will be challenging! Eric jokes that it will be "have Eric pick me up" week but I'm determined to make it happen at least 3 days :P

That's great that you made it happen for an entire week!!
J-That sounds fun to run to or from work. I said I would do that last summer, but I never did. Just requires a bit of planning.

Amber- Props to you. That sounds like a bit more of an intense commute to/from work. I am grateful that my ride is mostly flat and along a beautiful river path. There is one hill though that gets me winded every morning.
Anonymous said…
I've been bike commuting for about a year now. I recently bought a folding bike which really helps with the various challenges of bike commuting. When I change plans I can fold my bike and easily throw it in someones trunk or even take it on the bus. Really a good investment if you want to try more bike commuting.
I'm impressed, Sass! My office is about 1.5 miles away and I've started to commute on foot, but that was stalled thanks to bad weather last week. Oof!

I love that they had a booth for you guys to stop by - Eugene really went all out for the challenge! Great city :)
Right now I drive to a park & ride and then take a bus into downtown. I like taking the bus - it's a good chance to catch up on emails and read a book. But it's also kind of annoying to pack everything and carry it onto the bus as I have to make sure I don't take up too much room. So I have resorted to bringing a backpack and a purse. Which makes me feel/look like a college student, but oh well!

When I move, I will walk the .7 miles to work. I can't wait!! I think it will be head clearing to walk home, even though it will only take like 10-12 minutes most likely. But still. The fact that I can get to/from work on foot? That is going to be lifechanging for me (I spend a total of 1 hour & 20 minutes commuting right now!)

Nice work on completing this challenge!
LBJ said…
I used to worry about running errands on my bike too - but it's been a lot easier since I got a Montague folding bike. I have a long way to commute, so I drive the first part, then park, then ride the rest of the way in to work. On the way home, it's actually easier for me to run errands in the city on the bike (so much easier to find parking!!) and if I have to stop between work and home, I just ride to my car. It would be great if I lived close enough to do it all by bike, but I don't, and the folding bike has turned out to be a pretty good solution for me.

Popular Posts