Hiking with Cranky Quads

We were just about to drive about an hour over to the Oregon Coast for a little hike when I picked up the manfriend's fancy new smartphone to see what the weather called for. It was sunny at the moment in Eugene and promised to be so for the next few hours. The coast however, was cloudy and soon to be rainy.

We opted instead to stay in town and visit one of our local peaks, Spencer's Butte. It was part of the same trail I ran on Saturday. The trail was pretty sloppy, but there were a ton of people (and dogs) out taking advantage of the sun.


My quads weren't sure which they liked better, the downhill OR the uphill. Both were bad. I guess two days of double digit running will do that to ya! Yesterday I managed a 10 mile run (on flat trail) with some very sore quads.

This morning I rode my bike to Lifeforce Fitness for the 9 am class. Oh the beauty of having the day off - taking a class when I would normally be at my desk!


The 2.4 mile hike up to the peak is all worth it though. The views of the valley are amazing.




I was very happy to see the parking lot. Usually, it's me encouraging the manfriend on hikes, but not today. That 4.8 mile hike wasn't easy, but it was a great way to spend some time out in nature soaking up a few moments of sun.


^My shirt says "Chicks with sticks bring more game" - a reference to women's lacrosse (which I played in college)

We just got home a bit ago. The manfriend had enough time to mow the lawn and crack open a beer before the rain began. Happy Memorial Day!

On a random note: Does anyone have a trail shoe that you absolutely love? I stopped by REI today and tried on the Brooks Cascadia, Vasque and Solomon trail shoes because I need a pair for my training this summer. I'm a pronator, but trail shoes tend to be neutral. I really loved the Solomons, but I'm still deciding.

Comments

Looks like a fun day! You guys got some great pics - you sure make an attractive couple. :)

I have never been trail running so I am of no help on that!!!
Amber said…
I LOVE my trail shoes. I just went into a local hiking/outdoors store and they fitted me for them. Not sure of the brand. A few of my running friends have solomon and they are big fans of them too!
Emily said…
you guys are adorable. looks like the perfect way to celebrate the long weekend!
Anonymous said…
Erik got me a pair of the Brooks Cascadia's and I LOVE them. But, I also run in Brooks for my everyday shoes anyway....
Perfect way to spend an afternoon :) That looks so beautiful! I really need to get up to Oregon and check out the Northwest!

On a random note, you & the manfriend's "hike faces" are very entertaining. ;)

Popular Posts