Where were we?

Okay, back to last Friday in Nashville.

So my friend Kristin is in Nashville to further her education at Vanderbilt University because an undergrad and law degree weren't enough. ;) Friday afternoon we did a few of those school related tasks like attending a luncheon and studying where all the hipsters and occasionally the stars, buy their coffee.

Oh wait, can't see the name? It's the Frothy Monkey! How cool is that?

Let's be honest, she was studying and I was reading an intense issue of Women's Health.


That evening, we headed out in search of a little adventure before the 9:30 PM show at the Bluebird Cafe.

First up, was a stop by the Belmont Mansion, which is also home to a small private college. It was so beautiful at night that I couldn't resist taking photos.





Taking photos at night is never easy, but it was fun to see what the camera would do with the light and find that some photos turned out just right regardless of my minimal photography knowledge.

Next, we were on a mission to have drinks at The Patterson House, an old speakeasy. Leave it to us to drive around the block five times and do some texting and googling before realizing "duh, it was right there the entire time. It's a speakeasy and therefore they have no sign outside."

Long story short(er), there are no photos because it was very cool and dark and just didn't seem appropriate to be snapping photos. The drinks were elaborate, unfamiliar and $11 each.

Mine was the Romeo and Juliet, a gin based drink that reminded me of a gin & tonic and mojito mixed together. It was pretty fabulous, but not quite as fabulous as the caprese panini with balsamic reduction on top that we shared. TO DIE FOR, people. It was amazing.

After an hour or so, we ducked out and headed on to the main event, a night at the Bluebird Cafe. Essentially, this is a well known intimate venue where songwriters perform nightly.


Our reserved table was in the perfect spot.

The younger guy was a guest performer for one song, Jimmy Wayne who just walked 1700 miles to raise awareness and funds for foster children aging out of the system. The main performers of the evening were Gary Burr, Jim Photoglo and Mike Reid.

Being the big country music fan that I am, I had been anticipating this night as it's a place I hadn't made it to during my previous trips. Kristin doesn't share my enthusiasm for country, but loved it all the same. It was fun to watch the three of them perform together and hear the songs they had written that you hear on the radio all the time.

Some of the songs you might recognize that these songwriters had written included: Fishin' in the Dark, I Can't Make You Love Me, Nothin' Bout Love Makes Sense, I'm In, In a Week or Two and the list goes on! It was one of those times I just felt lucky to be where I was.

Around 11:30 pm we headed home to bed.

Wait, you went to Nashville? Yup. Here's how my welcome to Nashville went.

And it's not the first time I've been to Music City, USA!

Next up: Saturday in East Nasty Nashville and a hammy injury update. Oh the suspense!

Comments

Sounds like such a fun trip! Frothy Monkey is a really cute name for a coffee shop!

I love seeing live performances!!! That looked like such a cool venue, too!
Amber said…
Sounds like such a fun girls weekend!

Popular Posts