Good eats and a new bike in my future?

Last weekend in preparation for my half marathon, I was in the mood to whip up some feel good eats. I'm not gonna lie, it was a little random, but hit the spot!

First up, I made some sweet potato fries seasoned with sea salt, cracked pepper and a little olive oil. This just says comfort food to me.

And it was on to the next course...caprese salad! Fresh tomatoes and basil straight from the local farm.



Now with olive oil, vinegar and cracked pepper. Yuuum.

This is one of those satisfying things that is not only fun to make (and look at), but also packs a punch in flavor. It's also a crowd pleasing, easy choice to bring to potlucks!

The last course I prepared was boring as all get out, but it served one purpose: carb loading. Can you guess what I had? Don't think too hard. Whole wheat pasta w/ some veggie induced marinara.

Now on to the bikes! These two are my current work horses. On the left is my purple Giant mt bike circa the 1990s. It serves as a decent rain bike and a slow cruiser which I can safely lock up around town.

The right is my carbon Trek road bike, which I don't lock up anywhere because I don't trust the bike stealing gremlins. I'm still 100% happy with spending a little more $$ and getting a bike that will last me several years.

For a while, we had been trying to find me an old road bike that he could add fenders to so I could ride to work or whatever in the winter without worrying about damaging the bike. I don't ride my Trek out in the elements when the rain begins and the roads get littered in mud, sticks and other junk, so that's where a rain bike comes in.

Last spring, the manfriend sent me an email during a work day and said "Don't be mad, but I bought you a pink rain bike for $15 at a garage sale. A"

Um, how could I not love it?? It was PINK!

Well, last weekend he tucked away into the man cave and began fiddling with the rusty pink bike. After an hour or so (while I was whipping up sweet potato fries and the caprese salad), I was called out to do some bike testing!

But first, the manfriend had to take it for a spin just to make sure it was safe. Fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Here we go!

Well, the good thing is it rides, sort of. Definitely needs a new set of wheels, tires, cables, a new chain, etc. but it will get there.

Now I just wonder if I can figure out that old school friction shifting system that sits at the front of the handle bars. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me.

Anywho, that's the new ride. I'll let you know when she's rideable beyond just down the street.

What's your favorite comfort food? Drink? For me, it's definitely sweet potato fries and a Starbucks cinnamon dolce latte, but not together. Ah, I'm getting excited for fall!

Thanks again for all those positive comments re: my unexpected PR! Last night during Lifeforce Fitness aka boot camp, our instructor talked about how you can focus your energy on what you're doing and see better, faster results rather than if you're just going through the motions. While I know he was talking about the weight lifting we were doing, I couldn't help but think it might translate in racing, the marathon and someday qualifying for Boston.

Edited to add: You can find me over at Iowa Girl Eats today reliving my Europe trip while Kristin and Ben enjoy their time on the Almafi Coast in Italy.

Comments

Love the new rain day bike! What a sweet BF!
Gracie said…
Your food looks delicious. The hubby and I tried the non-lcoking thing, too, and um...his bike got stolen out of our back yard. We call it the New Orleans tax. you get stuff stolen from you, oh well. So far two rocking chairs and a bike from our very yard...
Amber said…
Awww i love that he got it for you at a garage sale!!

I wish we lived in a more bikeable area of town. It's VERY hilly where I live so whenever I want to go on a decent bike ride I have to drive somewhere to do it. This means I rarely ride my bike. I want to try and ride way more next spring/summer!
Well I definitely think that you can BQ. No doubt about it, lady! You are super speedy and very determined, I know you can do it!

My fave comfort food is any sort of soup/stew/chili. Or this GF mac & cheese which I feel a bit guilty about eating because it's a microwave meal... but it's an Amy's Organic, so I feel a little bit better... but not much.

My fave comfort drink is probably a pumpkin spice latte or a vanilla latte. When I hold one of these warm drinks in the hands, the world is just a little bit brighter. :)
Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter said…
Caprese Salad is SUCH a crowd pleaser (and so easy to make!) haha I love it.

Random tidbit I learned in a group project last year: if you have a bike in Eugene it has a 50/50 chance of getting stolen with in the year :(
Ms. S said…
Thanks for the comment, Sassy Molassy! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip, as well - looks like a LOT of fun! Also, your sweet potato fries are making me super hungry (and reminding me I need to get off the computer and start making dinner). :)
Unknown said…
That is a classic bike!!!
Also - I love cinnamon dolce lattes! They are my favorite and you can get them down to 90 calories if you get a tall skinny one! Love it!
Ha, first of all - love that he just bought it on a whim! Can't go wrong with a bike purchase, most of the time ;) (That Trek is gorgy!) Hopefully she's rideable soon! We're on the market for cheap cruiser to just ride around, too. No way either one of us would leave our Road bikes locked up - those gremlins are everywhere and cannot be trusted!

Popular Posts