Vegetables and Chocolate (because those go hand in hand, right?)

A while back, mid June or so, the manfriend got ambitious and started building us a nice garden bed. I picked out several varietals of tomatoes, a few peppers (which have yet to do a damn thing), chives, salad mix and some flowers. When it started, it looked like this...


Now our little garden is quite full and I've been waiting for the day these plants would bare fruit. And finally, they did! This is our first "big" tomato. I've munched on a few cherry tomatoes, but this one is sliceable, albeit still small.

And lucky for me, there are a few more tomaters that are on their way to being ready. I love having fresh veg on hand that I can just grab from our back yard! Not to mention the fact that organic tomatoes can be spendy at the rate I go through them!

So, I hope you're eating your vegetables from your garden, your farmer's market or neighborhood grocery because then you won't feel so guilty when you're biting into one of these.

I only felt semi-guilty paying $7.99 for 7 dark choc covered caramels w/ sea salt on top made in Seattle, WA.

Yes, I nearly drooled when I bit into my first one yesterday. Sea salt on top of dark chocolate caramels is DEFINITELY the way to go.

It confirmed my choice to pay more for a quality product I'll really enjoy rather than grabbing a bar of hersheys. This is probably my most expensive chocolate purchase, but far worth it. I'm positive these will last me a few weeks and will perfectly take the edge off any dessert craving I'm having (more or less).

Fran's Chocolates has a few stores up in Seattle, WA so I may just have to go when I'm up there the weekend after the Portland Marathon. My high school friends and I are all meeting for a big rivalry football game between Oregon State and University of Washington. We have a big slumber party, tailgate and enjoy the game. I'm not a "fan" of either team, but I am on that weekend...sort of. ;)

What item(s) are you willing to spend more $ on because the quality or its function is simply worth it for you? My list would have to include: workout gear (bc I spend so much time in it), shoes (bc I have terribly wide feet), organic produce and jeans.

Comments

Gracie said…
i can't grow anything (total lack of skill, no backyard, and intense heat = no garden) so I'm very impressed by your produce! Lately I have been buying CSA produce boxes. After we get a box we voraciously chomp veggies for days, trying to eat them before they spoil!
I am notoriously cheap, so I try not to spend "more" on anything. But I do always buy quality food and ingredients, because I think that's important for health and enjoyment. I don't even think my cheap self would balk at the chocolates, they look so good!
Danielle said…
LP--your garden looks great! I've got little green monsters all over my tomatoes and I'm just waiting for them to ripen. I had one small pepper, but the zucchini and eggplant are growing like crazy.

As far as my money is concerned--I am much like you. I believe in great shoes (probably buy too many). But there's nothing like buying a fantastic pair of Danskos or Frye's and pulling them out year after year and knowing they still look as great or better than when you bought them because they now have more "character". I also don't mind spending a little money on good coffee beans, cream and sugar. I usually have cold or french press coffee every morning. I can justify the expense because it's much cheaper than going out for coffee daily!

I'm also with you on the Jeans front--nothing like a great pair of jeans that looks like they were made to fit your body. I'm trying to NOT buy jeans for this season. Check back with me in December to see if I've been successful :)
Gracie-I've been wanting to get a CSA box for the past few years, but it is pretty spendy and I think I'd need to split it with someone else. Maybe next year.

D-Yeah, I know what you mean. I love those quality shoes and jeans that just make you smile when you pull them on. Good luck this season from staying away from the jeans. ;)
I saw an article the other day about the "new craze" of Dark Chocolate + salt! Those look worth every penny and your 'maters are so cute ;) Once we get settled (short term lease right now), a garden will be a Must. For the time being, I have no issues spending extra on local peaches, tomatoes and corn. YUM.
Nice garden! i am envious!!

I am willing to spend a little bit more on quality produce, jeans, and haircuts.
I am willing to spend more on food that is unique, local, and tasty. I am also willing to splurge on wine, coffee, and chocolate.

Popular Posts