This is a story about...

a girl who ran a very soggy, but successful 21 miles. Well, that's pretty much the story, but scroll on for the pictures.

Got back to the neighborhood and decided to make the mileage an even 21 for good measure. And it didn't even hurt that bad!

The stats: me, one very happy runner. Average Pace: 8:22

A jam packed Green Monster was in order!

Tart cherries on top to aid in recovery. Granola because it tastes good and makes a crunch.

Pumpkin bread, which I found the recipe for here. No cream cheese filling in mine.

Okay, there's a little more to the story, so here goes.

As for the run, I have to say it was one of my best runs. I'm so relieved it was better than last week's rough 18. Last night when I went to bed after coming home from a wine bar, I wasn't so confident the run would go as planned, aka I was a bit dehydrated. I popped an ibuprofen and chugged some water.

This morning I felt fine, ate my breakfast and went on my merry way. I realized that over time, I've finally found the right combination that works for my body. And that is key, my friends. Do what works and makes your body and mind happy.

What works for me?
-Eating bkfst 1 hr before heading out
-Carrying hand held water bottle filled w/ half Gatorade and half water
-Sipping from that water bottle approx. every 15 min
-Munching on something real but easy to eat (Larabar)
-And something sugary (Shot Bloks)
-Eating these goodies approx at the 1.5 hr, 2 hr and 2.5 hr marks
-Choosing a route you enjoy before you start
-ice/cool bath afterward
-refuel w/ some protein and carbs immediately
-POSITIVE mental attitude (this one might rule over all others)

While the entire run wasn't sunshine and teddy bears, I noticed things that bugged me and then let it go. Sure my long sleeve made me a little warmer than I'd prefer, and yes my legs were about 75% fatigued from the first step, but I was doing my LAST 20 mile training run AND I was running a route that had not failed me in the past. I only hope that my attitude and body feels just as strong today as it will on Oct. 10, 2010!

What works for YOU?

Comments

Run Jess Run said…
Sounds like a great run!

Do you have any recommendations for Green Monster smoothie recipes??
Amber said…
I am currently fueling up for MY last 20-miler and... ITS POURING RAIN. UGH! I am trying to be positive about this but it's hard. Your blog post has inspired me to suck it up and push through anyways, though.
Congrats and incredibly successful 21 miler! So happy for you! It feels so good to have a successful run like that.

I am getting a way late start on mine as I had a late night on Friday night, slept very little, and then babysat until 11 pm last night... So i decided to sleep in this a.m. because it is pretty cool here (in the 50s) so I didn't feel like I 'needed' to start at the crack of dawn!

For me, I have to eat about 45-60 min before my run, I have to drink gatorade, and I eat gu's every 4-5 miles usually. I usually follow a pattern of drink at 3, gu + drink at 5, drink at 8, gu + drink at 10, etc... Or some pattern like that.

Alright, time to get my butt in gear and get out of the house for this run. I decided to do 16 today! Hope it goes well! It's only 52 outside so I am pumped to be running in such nice, cool temps!
Awesome run!! And now I'm totally craving dried cherries :)

Sues
abbi said…
Awesome job on the 21-miles. Sounds like you'll have a fantastic marathon! It took me awhile to figure out the combination of eating/drinking that worked for me, but I figured mine out too...that was a huge relief in itself!
Look at you go!! Wow, what a pace for 21 miles :) I love that list - couldn't agree with more with the "something real but easy to eat", as well as some Shot Blocks and a GOOD attitude. You're gonna kill this marathon - I'm excited for ya!
Danielle said…
Great time! You may be hitting your Beantown qualifier with that time!
Raquelita said…
You are a speedy rock star! I love your attitude. That pumpkin bread looks delicious, too!

Popular Posts