You gotta do whatcha gotta do!

Whew! Just got back from sushi with the manfriend. Let's just say, I was craving sushi and he needed a pick me up after spending far too much on a few car repairs. And now, we're back home, sitting in the DARK staring at our computers with all the windows and doors open and the sprinklers watering the yard.

That's what happens when it's 95+ two days in a row here. We Oregonians aren't really used to having to use AC so some of us tough it out. Manfriend has yet to install our window AC for the summer. I'd say it's about time. Not sure I'm going to sleep well tonight.

On to today's workout...

After work I put on the running clothes, Garmin, ipod (knew I'd need some inspiration) and grabbed my water bottle. I planned to skip our group SPEED workout to do my own little workout a bit earlier. But as soon as I stepped outside and the wave of heat hit me, I just knew I couldn't do it. After all, Tuesday's run felt like shiz so I figured this one wouldn't feel any better.

I marched my butt right over to the gym and hopped on a treadmill. I don't so much hate treadmills like some of you, but I do wish they had tv's at my gym. I settled on a ladder workout for the next hour or so.

Here's what I did:
10 min warm up (easy run)
1 hill, 2 min @ 4% grade, 6.6 mph

Ladder:
400m, 90 sec rest (easy Jog)
800m, 90 sec rest
1200m, 2 min rest
1600m, 2 min rest
800m, 2 min rest (couldn't bare another 1200m)
400m, 1 min rest

1 hill, 3 min @ 5% grade
7 min cool down

*Whenever I use the treadmill, I always start at a 2% grade to mimic the wind and variation of the road that I'd experience outside.

Let's just say I was dripping sweat and the legs felt decently tired. Not nearly as tired as when we do SPEED on the bark running trails, but good. I completed about 7 miles of running and a little walking. And I knew I was able to put more effort into my workout AND feel happy with my run my taking the speed indoors rather than suffering in the heat.

I think some people tolerate the heat a little more than others. I'm not one of them.

How many of you use the ipod on every run? Do you use it only when you need extra motivation? I do enjoy running with some tunes occasionally, but I also like the feeling of pushing myself mentally AND allowing my mind to just wander.

I'm off to hang out with some of my high school girlfriends in Portland tomorrow night! Looking forward to some girl time, big city living and maybe even sneaking in a little shopping. ;) Any fun weekend plans?

Comments

liz said…
Can you believe my iPod is broken? Maybe if I get a nice shiny new one I'll work out...maybe, lol!
Oh and we've succumbed to the heat and have the AC on, thank god!
abbi said…
I'm pretty much with music on every one. Every now and again, I'll go without it, but those tend to feel slower and harder. Maybe I should work on that...
Gracie said…
I almost always i-pod it, but once in a while I'll just enjoy the scenery. BTW yesterday was my roughest long run EVER in the heat, so I feel for you. I kept having to take walk breaks. I felt like I couldn't breathe in the heat!
I pretty much use an iPod on every run. Sometimes I don't feel like I 'listen' to it, though. Sometimes it almost creates this sound barrier for me and helps me get in the 'zone' if that makes any sense at all? I used to subconsciously run to the beat of the music, so my pace would be slower when i used it since I don't always listen to fast music, but I no longer do that & my pace is independent of the beat of the musci.

I agree - some peopel are just better built for heat or get used to it faster? I don't handle it so well...
Lisa- I do that too sometimes...just stick the earbuds in to block out the cars and the other noise.

I guess since I'm also running with others a few times a week, I tend not to have the ipod in. That might be a bit rude. ;)
Amber said…
I TOTALLY agree with Lisa's comment. I wear my iPod every run but a lot of the times I don't even pay attention to it, it just helps me block out all the OTHER noise and get into my zone!

I CANNOT HANDLE running in the heat. That's why I've been getting up at 5 AM lately. Oy..
Oh man, it's super hot here too! We have a window AC unit in the living room, but the bedroom is deadly. I fall asleep OK, but I wake up with the sun shining on me and feeling miserable. We're moving on 8/30 to an apt. with central air and a pool. CANNOT WAIT! Hope you guys can beat the heat :)

I can't run well at all w/out my ipod. My thought are too crazy and I think about stopping too much :)

Sues

Popular Posts