When heat nearly finishes you

Many of you in the midwest and east coast have mentioned the heat and humidity you've been experiencing. Well, we're finally experiencing a little of it here, albeit much less humidity.

Tonight I headed off for my run at 5:30, hoping to do a little tempo work. It was about 85 out and this body was not prepared, even though I was armed with my handheld water bottle. Within five minutes, I felt like I'd been doing all out sprints for 15 min or so. I immediately decided to head toward shade and lower my expectations. A run was fine, no tempo necessary.

I managed to stay under trees for about half the run and wanted to stop about every five minutes. Thank the lord for that water. I stopped just twice to walk and finished 49 minutes of plodding along. I'd hoped to do an hour, but that was definitely not happening.

Instead, I headed into the gym and did another 10 min on the elliptical and 15 min of weights. I'm thinking tomorrow's exercising needs to be done BEFORE it gets HOT, HOT, HOT. We have 95 temps forecasted for tomorrow and Thursday. Not looking forward to that.

Are you loving the Tour de France and these stages with cobblestone roads included? So much drama and excitement...I'm hooked.

No Nail Biting July: How are you doing? DId you give up a bad habit? I'm happy to say I've not bit my nails yet, even in a few moments of weakness. Painting the nails (even with clear nail polish) always helps me.

My comments are being funky and I'm not sure why. What's up with that Blogger? I removed the word verification to make it easier to leave comments, but now it seems they are all outta whack (I'm not seeing comments I know were there at one point). Weird.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those temps are NO joke! I'm jealous that yours are sans-humidity, but it's still so much harder on the bod.

To say I'm hooked to the Tour is an understatement! I'm SO glad that Versus plays it over and over all day - I literally had to prevent myself from reading bike news so I could come home and watch from 5-7. LOVE IT. :) Jens was doing well for a while! Really wish Schlek would've taken that stage, but oh well...moving on!
Yes, blogger was jacked yesterday. For most of the day, comments that I received via email never showed up on my blog. Very bizarre.

It's been hot & humid here. I don't mind the heat as much as the humidity. It was 76 degrees and very humid when I started my run on Saturday and it was just horrible. I think it was around 85 when i finished. I started my run at 7 thinking that would be early enough but it just never cooled off last weekend. The heat and/or humidity really takes it out of a person!

So far i have not bit my nails either! :)
Raquelita said…
Blogger was messed up part of yesterday and the night before. Comments that I would get notifications for just weren't there. They seem to have all reappeared now.

It was already in the 80s here and super humid when I went for my run yesterday morning. Not conducive to pushing oneself because even just moving feels like a monumental act when you're being broiled.
Gracie said…
Our temps have actually NOT been killing me lately; they've been high 80's to mid 90's which I can handle. I remember last summer coming home from a run and feeling HORRIBLE. I flipped on the news and saw that there were heat warnings for our area; in the very park where I was running the temperature was 104! And with the heat index it felt like 118! So far this year has not repeated and I'm so grateful.
Amber said…
It's starting to get HOT up here too! I got my run out of the way first thing this morning to beat the heat :)
Ok, glad to hear I'm not the only one having blogger comment issues! So impressed that you people are getting up early to do your morning runs.

Lisa-yes, this run reminded me that on my weekend long runs, I need to start them earlier like I have before (6 or 7 am) so I'm not dying from heat exhaustion.

Gracie-not sure how you can handle those temps! If I saw someone running in 100+ deg heat, I'd definitely think they were crazy pants! ;)
liz said…
Thanks for voting!
I never had a problem with nail-biting my mom would have killed me! Have you tried painting a color on them? You should go get them done so that you can admire them and not bite them!
Oh and it's going to be 100 today, not looking forward to it :(

Popular Posts