the C word

Cancer. I hate that word. I hate the way it seems more like a WHEN rather than an IF. I hate the way I think "cancer fighting!" when I eat tomatoes, peppers or blueberries. I hate the way it takes over good peoples' lives and destroys them (and their families) cell by cell.

No one in my family has cancer, but a friend's mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer that has spread beyond the breast. The woman has had annual mammograms and the last one showed no signs of suspicion. Stage 4!

For god sake, please get your mammograms and do your breast self exams, even if they might not catch it. Do what you can to prevent this shiz. Has anyone in your family been affected by cancer? If so, what words of support would you offer to other families going through it?

In other news, how 'bout that Tour de France? I'm in love with it. This morning we even saw a big U. of Oregon green and yellow flag being held by someone in the Pyranees Mts. And then Schleck dropped his chain trying to drop Contador. Ugh. One things for sure, this has been a VERY exciting tour.

Comments

My grandma died from cancer and my aunt has been battling cancer on and off for the last 10 years, so unfortunately, I have had too many encounters with teh C word. I just pray that my mom does not get cancer. Her mom died from it. Her mom's mom died from it. It scares me to think about, but my mom is super healthy and eats really healthy so hopefully she can evade it. Or hopefully they find a cure.

My aunt just found out that the chemo she took this summer only shrunk the tumor that came back so she has to do radiation possibly. She is such a fighter and has maintained a positive attitude but I don't know how she does it. I try to send her cards and emails to let her know i am thinking about her, but i never feel like I am doing enough... Next summer my SIL and I are doing this thing called the 3-Day - you walk 20 miles a day for 3 days to raise money for breast cancer. My SIL's mom died from cancer when she was in her early 30s so it's a cause that is near and dear to my SIL's heart (and my family's too since my aunt's cancer started off as breast cancer) so I am glad we are going to do something together to help raise money for such a worthy cause.
THanks for sharing your story, Lisa. So terrible that it's reached so many women in your life. Let's hope the cycle has stopped.
Anonymous said…
That's so scary - my heart goes out to your friend. It surely does seem to be a question of "when", which is scary but true.

On a much lighter note - I am Loving the Tour! It comes on right when I go to work here (EST), so I wait and watch until the 5 pm coverage and am just GLUED. Of course, w/ the chain dropping - Schlek/Contador drama that went on, D had to keep me updated on the drama (he keeps up online ;) ). Ugh!! So excited for tomorrow...very decisive day!

Popular Posts