The great outdoors

Whooooa, we're halfway there! It's practically the weekend, dontcha think?

Last Sunday, I wanted to bust out of town and into the great outdoors. I had done my long run on Saturday so I was free to do a little cross training on Sun. We decided to head for Sahalie Falls, a nice place with great views (the falls) and a moderate little hiking trail just 90 min from home.

We were going to leave the dog at home, but her little puppy eyes made it impossible for me to just leave her by her lonesome. Plus, she loves a good adventure. So, in the car she went.

Manfriend tries not to fall in as Jonah Bell takes a dip.

Amazing how much force these falls create. It was so loud!




I loved how blue the water was. It nearly matched my shirt.

Love this race shirt from the Helvetia Half Marathon!


Believe it or not, our little 3 mile hike was tiring! We were ravenous for lunch (and a frosty cold Miller Lite) by 2pm when we finished. But the views were worth it!

I took a video for you guys, but it didn't upload so maybe another day.

This morning on my 20 min run around the neighborhood, a man in his 60s or so said "I wish I could do that!" as I passed. Boy, I sure hope I'm doing this in 35 years. If my joints can't handle it, maybe I'll just be a yoga fiend or spinning my wheels on the bike. One thing I know for sure, I'll still be active!

This round of marathon training has been great so far. I feel like I've reached the perfect mix of cross training and physical therapy to protect the little injuries that have creeped up, while still being able to up the mileage! The bad runner I am, I've still neglected to write up a plan.

Don't fret, I glance at three different plans a few times a week to decide what I'm going to do. Seems to be working so far, but I do want to write out a plan for the remainder of my training. Deadline: this Sunday. How's your training and cross training going? Are you able to meet your goals when you don't have a strict plan written up?

Comments

Anonymous said…
"the perfect mix of cross training and physical therapy" - that is key! I'm surprised you don't have an actual "Plan", but also kind of love that. :) Mine is a good guideline, but I only follow it ~85% of the time ;)
abbi said…
I think it's great that don't have an exact plan and still have been able to find the right mix. I'm completely glued to my plan!
Raquelita said…
What gorgeous photos from your hike! It looks like a wonderful time was had by all, including your doggie!

I was waiting to decide on a plan until we got back from Italy because I was worried I wouldn't run much while on my honeymoon. And I only ran once in the past twelve days.... So a half-marathon instead of a full it will be.
Gracie said…
Training is going well for me in the respect that I'm not injured yet (yet! hopefully never! haha) but I'm a lot slower this time around. I'm blaming the heat! Your hike looks so fun.
Wow, I am envious of the fact that you live so close to such a beautiful hike! Looks just gorgeous. I love water falls. Their force is just amazing! I am hoping to go up north to Duluth at the end of the summer/beginning of fall to see some waterfalls in that area. It's on my 30 before 30 list so I really want to check that off, but I might have to just do it alone... we'll see...

I kidn of need a written out training plan. Otherwise I start to feel sort of lost! I have done pretty good stickign to the plan but I need to do more cross training. I have been thinking about buying a bike but just don't know where to start when looking for one... and I don't have a lot of money to spend either....
Run Jess Run said…
Training is going well, cross training is not.

I usually do an Excel spreadsheet for my training plans. I used the Smart Coach plan from Runner's World.
Amanda said…
I'm new(ish) to your blog (no idea where I found you, either!) - LOVE Sahalie Falls! I grew up just about an hour from there :)

Popular Posts