The great big Redwood Forest

Last Thursday we headed out bright and early in search of the Redwood National Forest and the massive trees. After about 5 hrs of driving, a coffee stop and a stop for gas, we made our way to Crescent City and the first time we'd seen the California coast on our drive. We stopped to enjoy our homemade lunches before driving a few miles further to Elk Prairie Campground where I had reserved a campsite.

Just a few minutes later we came across this site. And THAT is when the gasping and "Oh my gosh" ing began.

After checking out the visitors center and putting up the tent, we headed out to explore the trails and trees.



Checkout manfriend's new sweatshirt he snagged at our campground's visitors center. He was seriously stoked about it.



Okay, not so hard to find one as tall as me at 5'3", but it's fun taking these pics all the same.

Found one as wide as the manfriend is tall...6'4"

The view on my 7 mile tempo run. Not too shabby, eh?

Morning light as we're leaving our campground to head further south on highway 101

I think these guys know what I'm up to...

And then we came across a whole herd of them.

About 90 min later, we took a detour of hwy 101 to pop over to the Avenue of the Giants. I must say, the trees there weren't quite as impressive as the ones near our campground, but it was so cool to see mile after mile of these huge old trees.

We had hoped to drive through the big trees you see photos of, but it turns out those are all privately owned and cost $. For some reason, $6 to drive through a huge tree just didn't seem worth it.

Maybe it's just us nature loving folk, but the manfriend and I adored this part of the country. I couldn't believe I hadn't been there on a family vacation. I can't even tell you how many times the manfriend and I declared to each other "Oh my gosh!" "This is so cool." or "Look at that!"

So there you have it, our adventure through the Redwood Forest! Now I'm watching Valentine's Day and just baked some chocolate cookies with not enough butter or sugar and some applesauce to substitute. It's about time I learned. What's the best vacation you've ever taken? At the end of the month I'm jetting off to Nashville, TN to visit my friend K. I love having vacations (and friends) to look forward to!

Training update:
Today-Boot camp
Thurs-SPEED workout
Fri - easy cross training and short run
Sat - cycling
Sun - Eugene Women's Half Marathon

Comments

Unknown said…
That looks amazing! I think the best vacay would be Puerto Rico. We went to a good friends wedding there and It was beautiful!
Amber said…
WOW! That is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the view you had on your run. Amazing!
Kristin said…
Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing! BTWn I loved Valentine's Day, thought it was such a cute movie!
Jen Feeny said…
Those pics are breathtaking! Thanks for sharing! What an amazing view!!!!

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!
How cool! I've never visited the Redwoods, but my roommate lived very near them for a while. They look so impressive.
Raquelita said…
Stunning shots! I really would love to visit The Redwoods.

The best vacation I've ever been on was my honeymoon in Italy this summer.
Oh my gosh, those pics are stunning. Visiting this area is def on my list of things to see in the US! How gorgeous!!

My best vacation was def my time in Paris in 2008. Paris just captured my heart for some reason and I can not wait to return in February!!

Popular Posts