Nothing gets in the way of my run.

So, where did we leave off? Saturday, post ride, I was getting antsy to do some more exploring. We were in Medford, OR and I was armed with a map that showed the four mile route to a local winery. What else is a girl to do, but take advantage?!

After stuffing our faces with some pb&j and chips with hummus, I changed and hopped back on the bike. Who needs a car when you're at a bike rally for Pete sake? Four miles later, I arrived at RoxyAnn Winery.

It was so cute. I loved all the signs and buildings.



Inside the tasting room, it was bright and filled with wines and goodies to buy, as well as lots of good seating indoors and out.


I tried a few of the reds and settled on a glass of Claret, their most popular wine. It was blend of 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Malbec. Oh so yummy. Soon enough, manfriend was able to break free from the expo and joined me at the winery.

Sunday morning, we decided on the short ride option because I was planning to fit in a long run later in the afternoon. It was a nice 25 miler that took us through the cutest little town, Jacksonville, OR.

About 12 miles into the ride, we were going up a little hill and came upon a tandem going a bit slower than ourselves. A big truck was behind us wanting to pass and I was trying to stay right on manfriend's wheel so I didn't get left behind. Well, I got a bit too close as we were trying to slowly make our way up the hill behind the tandem and I clipped manfriend's back wheel.

As you can imagine, I went sideways and fell right on my left elbow and knee. Let's just say I left a little skin on the pavement. Luckily, a woman on a single bike came along who had a nice first aid kit (which manfriend and I do not carry with us) and I was bandaged up. The next 13 miles were fine...no serious pain. I just tried to enjoy the views (and stay far from anyone's wheels).



We got back to the school a bit before noon and manfriend cleaned and bandaged up my wounds again. Reason being: I was on a mission to get in a run. Stupid idea? Maybe, but you know me, I'm determined. And I promised I'd stop if the knee started throbbing.

By the time I started, it was in the 80s and I set off with my Nathan handheld water bottle in hand. Miracle of miracles, my body didn't protest the run, although the bandage was looking a little bloody by the end. I finished 10 miles and felt happy with getting a longish run in despite the bike accident.

Stats:
10.26 miles
1 hr 26 min
8:28 avg pace

I fueled, showered, rebandaged and we packed up and drove home last night. Both of us were too exhausted to do anything exciting for the 4th. Instead, I listened to the fireworks outside and watched a lame NBC Macy's 4th of July show. Manfriend kindly doctored up my knee and elbow again as I was a mess of tears being upset about the injury.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to remain calm as I'm forcing myself NOT to do any working out today. Grrr...I could use a good sweat fest right now! What do you do when all you want to do is exercise, but you know your body needs the rest?

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are nothing, if not not Determined and driven to get those workouts in :) Love it.

I was grumpy on friday morning b/c of a scheduled "day OFF" - D has to enforce these now, as I've gotten used to the morning endorphin rush and prefer that to sleeping in ;)
Raquelita said…
Wow! You are so inspiring with all your determination! I'm glad you weren't seriously injured in your accident.

When I'm jonesing for a work out when I know my body needs a rest, I do a little yoga practice and meditate.
Ouch - quite the tumble. Glad someone was there with a first aid kit so you could get bandaged up! Way to still get your run in!

I made today an off day. I should have x-trained but just am not feeling so great after my 11 miler on Saturday. It was a craptastic run. Probably one of the worst runs i can remember doing. Didn't help that it was almost 80 when i started with humidity around 85% I think? Not fun. And I started off with .4 mile climb, into a strong wind, on loose gravel. My body does not like me. I am icing a swollen ankle as I type this, actually. No idea what caused a swollen ankle. i have never had ankle problems in my life. I am thinking running on the loose gravel must have tweaked things?

So long comment short, the ankle discomfort made it easy to take today off...

Hope your wounds heal up quickly!!
Yeah, those cyclists are good about knowing when you really should rest. But it's so hard to take a day off!
Anonymous said…
Get a more serious injury - then you'll be forced to take a day off! Just kidding - glad you're healing nicely. I'm going to Jacksonville at the end of this month for a concert at the Britt Pavillion. I've heard the town is gorgeous - it's good to hear the reports are accurate.
Lisa- Yeah, I'm guessing your ankles are sore from the gravel. Those tough runs are never fun, but I always feel like they help you mentally in the long run to run the 26 miles because you've had some craptastic runs and know that you'll survive.

I'm glad everyone realizes when they need to take a break. It's not easy, but it is necessary.
Amber said…
Oh I have SO MUCH trouble taking a day off. I just love to sweat too much! Haha. ANd I totally feel sluggish if I take a day off!

My biggest fear is taking a tumble on my bike - I guess it's going to happen sometime though..
liz said…
I think my problem is what to do when all I want to do is rest but my body desperately need exercise!!!
I hope you're feeling better from the scrapes, ouch! How can you run in the heat? I prefer an indoor treadmill (no need to turn back to go home, just get off!) I'm so lazy, can you tell?

Popular Posts