a dressy affair

I thought I'd show you these photos during my recent trip to Ann Taylor LOFT at our local mall on Sunday during a last ditch effort to find something fun for one of the two upcoming weddings (my cousin's and two good college friends).

Let's not talk about the long drive I took Saturday AFTER 16+ miles of running to not find a dress at the outlet mall in 90 degree heat. Let's not talk about there not being a JCrew within an hour's drive of this town I live in. And finally, let's not talk about how many times I've been caught by the manfriend browsing for wedding guest appropriate dresses online.

But we can talk about what I've learned from this whole dress search. About dresses and what works on my body and about shopping in general.

Too much fabric or too long or something.

Just say no to puffy sleeves and fabric tummy pooches.

Blah.

Good shape, not bad, but a plain black dress.

Comfy, but not the most flattering shape.

My favorite of the bunch. And of course the most expensive. And of course, manfriend didn't really like it.

Because I figure most of you don't want to hear about marathon training in every post, this should help mix things up a bit. Besides running, working, eating and sleeping, dress shopping has become my latest hobby. There isn't time for anything else.

Saturday market, a trip to the local farm, dropping off no longer worn clothes at the second hand store...all things that have been on my list for weeks, but there is no time. I imagine this is what a new mother with a crying, pooping, always nursing baby might experience, but in a more tangible way. A more "I'm giving life to this thing" and less of a "damn, I'd like to make it to the farmer's market some day soon" kinda way.

Anyway, on to the point of all this rambling! In the search for a dress that would you know, look good in photos and not make me look so short and pale, I realized a few things. The dresses I already have could probably work just fine.

Not only that, the time I've spent shopping brought up feelings of guilt. Feelings of "why the hell do I feel like I need to prove myself to anyone in some expensive dress that just might hang in my closet for a few years without being worn?" And "why the hell are these cheap pieces of fabric made in a sweatshop in Taiwan this expensive anyway?!" And "why is it so hard to find a classy looking simple dress?" BAH!

One thing I know for sure is that when you're looking for something specific, it's much harder to find. Often, it's those times when you were just browsing or don't have much extra cash to spare when you find that heart swooning pair of jeans, the perfect wedding appropriate dress, the necklace of your dreams.

Alas, I think I'm wearing a black strapless dress I already own to my cousin's wedding and the other is still up in the air. What item have you spent the most time and energy shopping for? Do you feel guilty for making purchases you know in your heart you don't need but love the excuse to buy? Or do you just throw caution to the wind?

Comments

Danielle said…
Totally feel your pain--I actually tried on three of your dresses last Tuesday and ended up with an already worn one for last weekends dress rehearsal. I have to say, I don't mind so much being in the wedding, because that pressure is taken off for finding a perfect dress. Did you try Modcloth? Anthropologie also had some super cute dresses (albeit, rather pricey). Good luck, LP!
liz said…
I love the first one! Just hem it above the knees, perfection!
Amber said…
I actually really like the first one!!!

My life consists of work, running, blogging and that's about it. It's hard to find things to blog about sometimes! Haha
Kara said…
I had to buy a dress for an awards banquet and it was impossible to find something relatively inexpensive and flattering. Either the dress made me look pregnant or my boobs were falling out everywhere. Oh, and I was trying on dress with my arm in a sling because of a dislocated shoulder!

I try really hard not to feel guilty when I buy clothes, especially if I really don't need it. I allow myself two big shopping sprees a year and that's that!
Linz said…
I agonized over the perfect (wedding guest) dress several years ago, and splurged on what ended up being the perfect dress. I felt great in it, and know I looked good - it was worth it for sure, though in the future I'll stick to one of my tried&true comfortable patagonia dresses that better represent who I am, even if they're not the best/most expensive dress at the party.
I felt indulgent/guilty putting so much thought into the dress I wore to the wedding where I sat with my 2 exes. I just over thought it so much and in the end, I wondered why I cared so much about looking good for 2 people that I could not care less about anymore...

So I am glad I did not buy a dress for that wedding and instead made a dress from my closet work....


Good luck coming up with the right dress for each occasion. It is so so tough sometimes! And it's natural to want to look good when you are at an event like a wedding!
Gracie said…
Dude. Go buy purple dress #1, you look fab in it. I adore it on you, seriously. Actually I think I'd adore it on me...did you say Ann Taylor Loft?
Thanks for all the great feedback, ladies!

Popular Posts