T-t-t-taper

Hey there, just checking in! It's a busy day in Sassy Land. The manfriend has even been offering to do me favors like take my car in and now drive it up to my parents so my dad can fix the leaking break fluid issue.

Sometimes it's hard for a girl who tries to do it all to actually allow someone else to do something for me. Know what I mean? It just feels weird. Alas, I know he's doing it to try to help me out when things are busy and stressful.

Of the many work and fun related things that happened this week and are on the schedule for the weekend, I've been stressing about this whole not running thing. Not only are my legs not getting the pounding my head desires, but my body is not burning the cals it's used to and yet I still feel like eating everything under the sun.

The bottom line is, as I taper into the marathon, I'm going to focus on giving my body what it needs and not just what it wants. That means skipping a beer and dessert that I was tempted by last night. It also means that I'm focusing on getting some serious sleep and not staying up late to read and write blog posts.

What's got you stressed this week? And how is your taper going? Happy Friday!

Comments

Keri said…
Hi! i just found your blog :) Good luck next week in Portland! I am running a marathon that day as well!
Amber said…
Taper is CRAZY! I'm HUNGRY, I'm TIRED but yet when I ran this morning my legs were GOOD and I ran 6 miles in a 9:19 pace, fastest I've ran in MONTHS for anything over 3 miles.

Taper is weird.

Give your body what it needs! Lots of rest + nutritious food + ice. You're going to be fine by marathon time!

See you in 8 sleeps!!
Not running much this week has me stressed out. I am tapering when I am not supposed to be tapering. Really, I should be increasing my mileage. Unfortunately, the loss of a canine friend, 7 a.m. (10 hr) shifts, hot weather, and less daylight are all keeping me from putting the miles on. Yes, I should just take responsibility for my inaction...but there are so many barriers this week.

Best wishes to you...listen to your body...rest up!
My taper is going ok for me. It feels weird to be running such few miles, but I think my body is happy that I am giving it a break...

Happy weekend! That's so sweet that man friend is offering to help you out with things. :)
Unknown said…
What is taper? You and Amber have written about it and I have no clue what that means. Is it something you do before the big race?

It totally is hard to let others do something for you if you are use to doing it all on your own. Sometimes I just stop...think and go - what a great idea!
Gracie said…
Eh, I sucked at the "what my body needs" part...but I was tapering on vacation!
chris mcpeake said…
good luck with your race. Enjoy the taper if you can
I can see how taper week would be rough after being used to such intense workouts for so long. Good job making sure you're still taking good care of yourself to be in tip top conditioning.
Lo-The taper is essentially the anywhere from 1-3 weeks in which runners drop down in mileage and intensity to allow the legs and body to rest so they are fully capable of running a big race. For me, a two week taper seems to be perfect. It's just hard on you mentally.
Oh I'm just waiting for my similar taper-madness to set in (along with the unnerving hunger...impressed by your dessert skip ;) ) - I know it's coming sometime...

Stressed by a busy schedule, but happy to out and about as the miles decrease :)

Popular Posts