Getting our run on

I hope you're having a relaxing/exciting/productive fall weekend! I'm feeling a bit of a sore throat coming on and I woke up early to have coffee and visit with my mom, grandma and aunt this morning. It's one of our favorite holiday traditions.

I wanted to show you the cool park my friends Jessica, Lauren (yes, one of my best friends from grade/middle/high school is also named Lauren) and I ran in last weekend. L2 lives in Tacoma, WA just about 40 min south of Seattle so we stayed there on Friday, ran Saturday morning and then headed into Seattle for the football game.

Keep in mind, this was one week post marathon. My first run after the marathon was last Friday and consisted of a short 20 minute run around the neighborhood.


The park was along the water and the site of an old mining plant. It was right next to this Scottish style links golf course that will be host to the 2015 U.S. Open.

There were a few hills here that my legs did not quite agree with. This was not one of them.

The old mine provided lots of cool photo opps!


Pioneer Sand and Gravel - 1946

This hill was no joke. It was prob between .25-.5 mile long but it zig zagged and was super steep.

But once we reached the top, we only had a few minutes of flat trail left before we could stop.

30 minutes and about 3 miles later, we were done.

The hills in this run reminded me that I'd like to incorporate hills into my runs more often. It makes the flats seem sooo much easier.

Earlier this week I read something in the active.com newsletter about taking TWO WEEKS off running after a marathon. Guess who told me I should take two weeks off running post Portland? That's right, the manfriend. But I'm stubborn and my brain wanted to run so badly, even if my body didn't.

How long do you rest after a big race/effort? Do you listen to your body or your brain more often than not? My brain almost always wins the fight. But today, my body wins. It's a rest day. And on that note, I think this sore throat could use a mini DQ Blizzard. Mmmhmmm.

Comments

Amber said…
I'm so jealous of your run :(

It looks SO beautiful there and running with friends is the best!

As you know I'm the big ole' I - INJURED! So I have essentially taken the last 2 weeks off since the marathon (with the exception of a little run on Thurs that was NOT a good idea in hindsight) and will likely be taking at least another week or two off.

Bad for my sanity but good for my foot. And probably good for my legs, too!
Raquelita said…
What a cool place to run! After my first and only marathon, I ran twice (very short 2-3 mile runs) in the week after, but I did largely take it easy for quite some time.

I hope that sore throat goes away quickly and that you enjoyed your mini blizzard!
Gracie said…
I'm kind of lost with the time off rules...I took a day off for travel, that's it. But I ran a bunch of races right after and I feel great! :D
I took an entire week off from running. Then this past week, I did 3 shorter runs (2-3 miles) and started incorporating x-training and strength training. It feels weird to not be running much, but I think my body needs the break. It's tough to know how much time to take off, though. I was feeling pretty darn burnt out by the time the marathon rolled around, though. And going to that strength training class really showed me how weak my core and upper body has gotten, so I am looking forward to running a little less and focusing on activities that will strengthen my core and upper body.

HOpe you had a great weekend! Those pictures are awesome!

Popular Posts