Sick as a dog - day 4

Staying home sick is complete torture for me. That being said, after I've napped, read Born to Run, read blogs, blown my nose and drank more glasses of water than is necessary, it gave me a chance to bake.

And baking when your taste buds don't seem to be operating is the perfect time, eh?

Well, I'd been having this craving for a simple Bisquick coffee cake recipe I used to make out of my mom's old Natural Gas cookbook. I couldn't find the right one, but sort of made this one do. I would recommend searching for one that involves a bit more butter and brown sugar action mixed into the cake part, but that's just me.

And now that I did a little more searching, I found this recipe that calls for a bit more brown sugar and butter (double of each) for the streusel than the recipe I used. Oh well.

My antsy self decide to throw in a few tablespoons of pumpkin filling and stew some up some fresh from the orchard apple chunks to make this a bit more fallish. Ever since I saw Ashley's stewed apple take on Angela's strawberry oat squares, I have had a hankering for cookin' up some apples!

One thing that I absolutely LOVE about the food blogging community is how it's inspired me to get in the kitchen more than I might. I adore cooking and baking, but sometimes I just feel like "There's no time! Too much to do! So much work! Running! Cleaning the house!" that I let those worries overwhelm my need to just dig in and let my worries bubble away.

And without further ado, Bisquicky fall coffee cake. I also learned something about food photography. I'm at work during the hours when taking photos of food and such are ideal.


Notice this photo is way less appealing. Why? I used a flash. Ugh. Natural light is hands down, the best.

Manfriend said it was tasty. I saved myself a piece for tomorrow to test when my tastebuds are hopefully back in order.

On the cold front: It is possible for dogs to get colds. Jonah Bell has been sleeping, whining and laying near me a lot the past few days. I think she caught a case of the doggy cold. And, I should win some award for being able to go through 200 Kleenex's in 24 hrs. I had to return to the store today for another box and zinc/vitamin C lozenges.

P.S. Who says it must be all health food when you're sick? I've been balancing all of this baked goodness with green monsters and healthy dinners (in case you were wondering).

P.P.S. Today was the 5th day in a row I have not run or done some serious cardio. I've stuck to Dave Farmar yoga podcasts, dog walks and a little weight lifting around these parts. I'm getting antsy to get my sweat on.

I'm ready to kick this cold to the curb. Nighty night! Sleep tight!

Comments

Your poor nose! That is alot of kleenexs to go through!

They make GF bisquick now so I really should try to make something like this. Maybe I will try to do that the weekend my parents are here so I have something for them to eat for breakfast...
Jen Feeny said…
Still sick?!?!? Oh noes!!! Feel better chica!!!
Amber said…
Ewww being sick sucks! I hope you get better soon. At least you're making soem delicious treats in the meantime :)

I totally think it's possible for a dog to get sick!!
Allison said…
That coffee cake looks so comforting on this brisk, fall day in Chicago! I want some!
liz said…
Feel better soon! The best recipe for health is whatever you feel will lift your spirits, huh?! Looks delicious
Awww I hope you feel better!! The good news is you made a killer looking cake that I could seriously dive into right about now :)

I am interested to hear more about your running! I just started and am training for my first half marathon :)

xxoo
Ashley said…
Oh my gosh..that looks insanely amazing. Thanks for the link love!!

Popular Posts