Brownies you need to make today

Saturday night, the manfriend started firing off dessert requests per the usual. When he mentioned brownies I thought "Hm, that might just be a challenge I'm up for." I googled, and soon enough, allrecipes.com had the perfect simple recipe for me.

Do you know that before Saturday, I'd never baked brownies that weren't straight from the Betty Crocker box? It was definitely time that changed.

What do you need?
Cocoa powder
Butter
Sugar
Flour
Eggs
Vanilla
Baking powder
Salt
Sea salt
Powdered sugar

This turned out to be one of the easiest recipes I've made before.

First, melt the butta!

Remove from heat and add the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking powder and mix. I added a few cracks of sea salt in this step and I could taste it in the brownies. Yuuuum.

And all of a sudden you have gooey chocolate!

Pour into your 8" square pan and bake for 25 min at 350 degrees

Remove from oven and sprinkle snow/powdered sugar on top

Cut into 9 pieces so your significant other doesn't devour the entire pan in one sitting

And this is why I won't be using boxed brownie mix in the future. It was just too easy not to pass up.

Is there a recipe that's always intimidated you OR are you sure that the boxed/packaged/premade version is just easier?

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my goodness! Those look delicious! I'm definitely more of a "from scratch" kind of a girl when it comes to brownies.
Amber said…
Those look SO GOOD! And that is simple! I will have to try making them soon :)
Emily said…
I am confident that ALL boxed food is easier for me to make! I'm a disaster in the kitchen, and I can't think of one baked good I could handle making from scratch. But those brownies look delish!
Gracie said…
Home-made brownies are always better than mix - and like you said, so easy! I have a few recipes that vary in texture depending on my mood, but all have that rich chocolate taste without actually having to melt chocolate (I don't know about you, but I never happen to have baking chocolate just lying about!).
Ha, somewhat ashamed to admit I've never made-from-scratch either. and it looks totally 1) worth it 2) easy! I'd probably end up adding peanut buttah to that mix...
How funny!!! I totally made these yesterday too!! I think I googled "best brownies" or something and these came up. I added some butterscotch chips to mine and was so happy with how they came out. I love that we both made these!!

Sues
Anonymous said…
My manfriend (love that term) was SHOCKED one morning when I made him pancakes despite not having any Bisquick in the house. Pancake batter is soooo simple that I honestly don't understand why people never make it from scratch.
Homemade desserts that don't come from a box are the best! My mom always made our cakes from scratch and I was so surprised when I went to college and met people that didn't know you coudl ever make a cake w/out a box mix!

I am intimidated by GF baking. It calls for weird things like Xanthan Gum. I finally found a banana bread recipe that rocks, though, so that is my stand by. I would like to try to make my own bread - like regular bread to serve w/ soups or a sandwich. but bread recipes intimidate me because it calls for yeast and that scares me for some random reason...
Lisa-I believe you can conquer that bread recipe! I haven't used xantham gum, but I have used yeast. The key is hot water! It doesn't always work perfectly, but after a few tries you'll feel more comfortable with just seeing what happens, right?

We Are Not Martha-yum...butterscotch chips would make these delish!
Barefoot Contessa's brownies rock! That is the recipe I use now...

I used to be TOTALLY afraid of baking bread...or anything with yeast in it. My mom loved to give me a ration of $#!@ over this...she could not understand why a chemistry major and pharmacist thought yeast and bread were challenging. Now I know, I deserved that ration of $#!@.

Isn't it nice to be able to dial the running back a bit and do other stuff. Rest up and get well. :-)

Popular Posts