Squash it! Sunday

The weekend was fun. It went by too fast of course, but I enjoyed getting outside in Seattle and doing a little tailgating and football watching with friends.

When I got home this afternoon around 3 pm, the butternut squash on our counter was calling my name. You know how it goes. One minute you have a perfectly cute butternut squash and the next, a hideous mess and sore hands and arms.

Does anyone else feel my pain? Those butternuts are ridiculously hard to cut.

Eventually, I had these mangled chunks filling my cookie sheet, added olive oil, salt, pepper, some slices of onion and a few cloves of garlic and into the oven it went.

I didn't have the patience to clean and do anything with these. Into the trash they go.

After baking, peeling, adding vegetable stock, nutmeg and brown sugar and hand mixing, the pot sat on the stove for 30 minutes until goodness appeared. Then a heavy hand of cream gets stirred in and voila!

First you have to smell it...you know, just to check that it's edible.

And it is!

Time to devour!

Joy is one freaking kitchen genius. This recipe is simple, yet amazing. I made this soup last year and I'd be silly not to make it at least once a year, every year. This would be perfect for a holiday dinner party.

Do you have a recipe that you just can't wait to pull out during certain times of the year? You may notice I'm digging right into that to do list of mine. Well, there's no time like the present!

******
And, a quick note about Halloween

A few years ago, Kristin, Candice and I ran the Portland Run Like Hell Half Marathon right around Halloween and dressed up as bees.


It was a surprisingly fun and easy costume to run in. What you can't see is the stinger tails we had pinned on to our rears that swung back and forth the entire race. ;)

I'm now accepting any fun/easyish halloween costume ideas! I have two parties to go to, but can wear the same thing to both. What are you going to be this year, if anything?

Comments

That squash soup looks/sounds amazing!

When I went to that knife skills class last month, someone asked for tips on how to cut up a squash or things in the squash family. The chef said you shoudl just chop it in half and then roast it before trying to take the skin off of it... I think they are such a tough vegetable to chop up!!


I am looking forward to making chili, beef stew, and a beef in pomegranate sauce recipe.
Gracie said…
I love me some butternut - just made some this week, actually! And I totally cheat. Prick that baby and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes. Once it starts to soften I cut it in half and cook for a minute or two more so the inside will cook, too, then it's ready to go. I pre-micorwave even if I'm going to roast it in the oven, just to soften it enough to get the peel off!
Last year I was a cowgirl at the Jazz half and it was not bad at all. This year I'm attempting another costume...not quite ready with that yet though. Cowgirl isn't bad - plaid shirt, bandana, pistols - but you have to be ok running in a ten gallon stetson.
Amber said…
I have to admit the cutting of the squash is what usually turns me off of buying them!

That soup does look amazing though!

I LOVE that you ran a half-marathon dressed up as bees. That is so fun!!

I still have no idea what I'm going to be this year. SIgh. Something cheap!
Gracie and Lisa, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely have to try the microwave. Last year the manfriend had to do the cutting.

Popular Posts