Portland Marathon Recap, Part II!

For those of you who wanted the quick and dirty of the race recap last post, sorry about that! I just like telling the pre race story and the race day. Anyway, no worries, I'm not holding back any longer!

Sunday, October, 10, 2010

I woke up at 5 AM ready to go! After hearing the rain coming down, I debated whether or not to wear spandex capris or Nike tempo shorts. I finally settled on the tempo shorts since I'd have to be wearing my Ace wrap to support my hammy.

Breakfast was an english muffin with almond butter and banana. Eventually, it was time to wake the boys up and head out into the rain. Jessica and I made it to our coral with about 15 minutes until GO time.

To warm up the hammy I just did a bit of walking and stretching. The rain was pretty relentless and just kept coming down as the race announcer got us pumped up. Soon enough it was time for me to turn on the Garmin and guess what? The freaking thing would NOT turn on and it was fully charged.

It was one of those moments where I could have really panicked, but decided "you know what? I don't need the damn thing anyway. I'll just try to stay with the 3:40 pacer and do what I can." Needless to say, I was still frustrated. A few minutes later, we were hearded to the start line and hit the road running.

While the rain wasn't the ideal weather for a marathon, the temps weren't bad hovering in the low 60s. Around mile 4 I threw off my long sleeve and hat to my mom. I was totally impressed with the crowd support for this race. The city just comes out to cheer everyone on, which is so helpful.

Look how soaking wet and miserable I already look just a handful of miles into the race!

I was feeling pretty strong through mile 11 or so. I was running right next to the Red Lizard 3:40 pacer feeling great. Around mile 13 or so the pace, my leg and the weather started wearing on me. By mile 16 on this flat road headed out to the big hill at St. John's Bridge, I was feeling it, but still sticking with the 3:40 pace group.

As we headed over the bridge, I began really feeling like these legs weren't going to be able to hold my Boston Qualifier pace for the next 10 miles. I made the decision to be okay with what my body could do that day. I just kept pushing as I could, but fell off the 3:40 pace.

As usual, the 20 mile marker is when the body truly started revolting against the challenge I was putting it through. I hardly looked at the crowd, even though I knew my brother and his girlfriend would be near. From miles 20-24 I probably walked six or so times to give my body and feet a break.

From 24 on, I decided I would not walk, no matter what. At mile 25, a spectator yelled "You guys are awesome! You just ran 25 miles!" It was one of those 'holy crap! that is crazy' moments for me.

As I rounded the corner into the finish I saw the manfriend, my brother and the crowd and got pretty emotional.

I clocked in at 3:50:34 and couldn't have been happier to be done with that race. After grabbing a bunch of snacks in the finish line, I waddled out to find my support crew. The rain and the temps quickly cooled my body down and we high tailed/waddled it out of there because I was shaking and not making much sense.

My thoughts? Today was not my Boston Qualifier, I did not PR, but considering everything, I ran a pretty damn good race. Will I do another one? It's too early to tell. For now, FIVE is enough.

Post Race:
I showered, gingerly foam rolled and warmed up with hot cocoa. I also polished off several handfuls of Kettle Chips and various snacks.

Before heading home, we stopped at the nearby Lululemon because I've been dying to go. I picked myself up some spendy little spandex. As the manfriend said, "I could see you doing some serious damage in that store." He knows me too well. I bought the classic wunder under crops and the reverse groove shorts.

When we got home, we stopped by the store and picked up the first beer I've had in the last three weeks.

It was truly glorious!

Whew! If you made it through that marathon of a post, you're a rockstar! Thanks for all the encouragement along the way. I truly appreciate everyone's comments.

And although the marathon is over, I have some good posts sitting in the depths of my brain so stay tuned. I'll be back with the things I've been looking forward to for the past 3-4 months, now that this marathon is over.

Comments

Danielle said…
Congratulations on finishing a rough and tough race! You persevered and finished, especially impressive given your hamstring injury. Can't wait to see you this week and give you a congratulatory hug!
Jen Feeny said…
Congrats girl! I can't imagine running in the pouring rain for 26.2 miles. You are a champ!
abbi said…
Congratulations on a great marathon...in less than ideal conditions, for sure!
Emily said…
Congrats on a great race! The conditions look positively miserable! And first lulu purchase? Watch out. You'll be hooked in a matter of days!
As i mentioned earlier, I was stalking/checking up on you and Amber throughout the morning - SO excited for both of you :) They had a 21.1 mile check in and when I saw you were at 3 hrs I really thought you might take the BQ...

You definitely have it in the legs to get one whenever you're ready for it! No doubt :) I can't imagine being soaked AND getting through a Full - huge high five to you gals, and Congrats on a strong race despite the odds!

On another note - NICE lulu choices, heh. I love Both of those items, so comfy!
Congrats! You did an AMAZING JOB! :) I can't believe the weather, but hey -- you earned those beers <3
Gracie said…
I am impressed at your pace and dedication in that rain. I did ONE rainy 20 miler and it kicked my booty! You go!
Run Jess Run said…
Congrats!! I would be grouchy after running a marathon in the rain!
Awesome time, even if you did not PR...I cannot imagine running a marathon in the rain. Yikes!
Well I for one am proud of you! You ran an awesome race - and with an injury! You are a rockstar in my book.

And i can totally envision man friend commenting about you doing damage in Lululemon! I bought some spandex shorts & pants. Pricey but a great treat to myself for a successful race!

Again, it was WONDERFUL meeting you & Man friend. we def need to do a destination half some time!!!
Amber said…
I think you did awesome! That is such a good time considering the conditions! You have a BQ in you, I know it :-)

Lisa and I had some wine that night and OH MAN did it ever taste good. I've actually had a glass (or 2!) of wine every night since the marathon now. Hmm, I should probably try to not make that a habit :D
Erin said…
I found your blog from following Lisa's and I must say Congrats on a well run marathon!!! :) I'm very impressed with the hard work/training you ladies put forth! What inspirations you are!!! Started reading other posts on your blog and you are a very entertaining writer :) Look forward to learning more about "Sassy Molassy" :)
Thanks E! Glad you stopped by!
Raquelita said…
I have been so behind on everything this week that I'm just now getting around to reading blogs. Congratulations on finishing that marathon! You are a rock star for finishing in that time in those weather conditions!

Popular Posts