An Ode to the Hammy

Oh hammy, you were doing so great. In fact, so great that I wasn't worried about YOU. I mean you were right, I was focusing left.

Alas, you showed up and brought some sharp pains to my ass. But positive I remain because the P.T. says "just stretch as long as there's no pain."

***screeeeech*** end rhyming poetic attempt***

Yesterday, I made the first appointment I could with my physical therapist. She agreed that it seems like a strain to the hamstring where it connects near the base of my rear.

The good news is, it's nothing serious.

The bad news is, I can't run for a few days.

The good news is, I CAN swim, bike or elliptical if it feels okay.

The bad news is, I have to wear a big compression strap around my leg.

The good news is we're attacking this strain with ultrasound, astym, ice, ibuprofen and rest, which may allow me to run 4-5 miles this Sunday.

The bad news is...oh hell, I can't think of anything. I'm just relieved that there's more GOOD news than there was bad.

As my P.T., Kristin and the manfriend have all said, my training is in the bag, my gas tank is full, I just need to through this and the marathon will go as planned.

So many friends in the blogging world and in my local running group are doing various marathons on 10.10.10 or the weeks before or after. I can't wait to hear how it all goes for everyone.

Each of our marathon journeys are different and it's important to remember that it is a journey and not just one event and outcome on marathon day. That race is a result of months of training, fueling, resting, mental insanity and focusing on not much more than RUNNING. And on race day, it's going to be about courage and mental toughness and declaring something to yourself. After all, not everyone can run a marathon.

Comments

That last paragraph was inspiring to read and makes me even more excited for 10/10/10. And to meet you. And man friend!

I am glad that it's nothing too serious. You are SO ready for this, lady! So don't let this injury stress you too much!
Tina said…
Hamstring pain is so awful! At least its nothing too bad and should heal up rather quickly. :)
Sava said…
I like how you added "mental insanity" in there :)
Like we've heard before - if it was Easy, everyone would do it. ;)

Fingers crossed for you, Sass - you're a smart girl and a STRONG runner. Your training will carry you through, no doubt :)
Julia Lucas said…
You rock too!

If there are any further problems Justin Whittaker in PDX is an ART/chiropractic/all-thing-running genius.

(503) 224-3898

Good Luck!

Popular Posts