What's different this time around?

Caitlin's recent post on her 15 miler had me thinking about how my marathon training has changed this time compared to the past. I've been thinking lately "geez, this mileage is pretty low for marathon training." But ultimately, I think that after a lot of trial and error, this is not a bad thing.

A few things I'm doing differently during my FIFTH marathon training cycle are:
1. running fewer days per week, thus resulting in lower mileage
2. not sticking to my hill/speed workouts
3. not obsessively adding on a mile or two to a 6.5 mile run just because I think I have to hit 8 miles
4. actually doing my physical therapy exercises, more stretching and yoga consistently
5. listening to my body

Some marathons I've stuck to my training plan like glue. I can't say that was a bad idea. During my first marathon training for example, I did not stray a bit from the training plan, which was based on running for time not miles. I did every hill and speed workout, long run and recovery jog as noted. It resulted in a fairly pain free marathon and my BEST marathon time yet. Go figure.

Since then, my social and work life got busier and as a result, each marathon cycle was a little less focused. A few marathons I was even coaching high school lacrosse and working full time so those training plans took a bit of a back seat. With each marathon after the first it seems I've been injured and not been able to run them at my full potential.

This time my body is somewhat stronger, but it's still a work in progress. And, thanks to a busy and fun summer, I've missed several of my Thursday SPEED workouts. And lord knows that speed helps you in the marathon.

The difference this time around is, things aren't perfect, but I'm not freaking out about it. This won't be a Boston Qualifying marathon for me, but I think it will be strong and I'm perfectly fine with that. I've decided on continuing to run strong and fit in some speed and hill work where I can and just stay healthy (i.e. do my stretching and P.T.).

Instead of acting like this is an all or nothing marathon, I've decided to enjoy it all (the training, the race, the blogger meet up) and focus on getting my left hip/glute area strong afterwards. After all, you can't always count on a PR. I'm already excited to turn my focus to cross training, yoga, weight lifting and cycling and only running a few days a week (if I can mentally stand it).

This is me not freaking out in the Redwoods because really, why would you? ;)

Stay tuned for tomorrow's full on Redwoods recap!

What has worked for you when you're training for something big? And when you've finished that big event, do you take a big break off from whatever it is or do you turn your attention to something new right away?

You can also find a few of my other Boston Qualifying related posts here:
My Thoughts on How to Qualify for Boston
Your Thoughts on How to Qualify
Things About Me

Comments

Run Jess Run said…
I'm currently in my "recovery" week after my 10 mile race. I'm taking the week off to let my body relax because I've been in training since January. Plus, school starts for me next week so I want my fall workout schedule to already be a part of my school routine.
Gracie said…
I WAS sticking to my training plan closely until this week rolled around/ Between travel plans and a funny knee feeling, I'm having to switch a few runs up.
Of course, I am being super lazy and this marathon is solely for fun and sightseeing. I was so scared of training in the heat that I didn't set any time goals. Plus my completely flat training plan is not going to help me on all those course hills. So I'm just going to enjoy the run.
Next marathon I'll get serious though, given that I stay injury-free!
PS Your times still look really good, esp your last 20 miler!
Anonymous said…
The relaxed approach seems to be working for this time around - I think this will be a good race for you! :)

This cycle is Way different for me too (vs #1, this winter). Besides the obvious weather factor (complete opposite), I've paid a little more attention to the training plan to make sure I don't overdo miles, etc. I'm also actually Really Excited for this race; last time I just felt intimidated/overwhelmed by the thought of 26.2 :)
Amber said…
Yay for the relaxed approach! I have basically made marathon training a priority in my life and have stuck fairly closely to my plan, but this is my first marathon! I know that with my halfs, I was hardcore for the first and by the third half I was barely following a schedule and was just RUNNING :-)
Emily said…
I'm so with you. I look at training schedules for marathons as a guide. I know my body can not sustain running 5-6 days a week so i don't. I add in lots of crosstraining and like you, listen to my body! And it works, I'm staying injury free and I'm getting faster. Being too attached to what one plan says you should be doing has been a bad idea for me-so now I don't do it!
This time around, marathon training has been a way different experience. I was such a rookie when I ran my first marathon in 2006. And I didn't have any runner friends or a blog, so I had no one to talk to about running. So I thought about it way less. In a way, I wish this cycle was a bit more like that one, but I also made some big mistakes in 2006. Like not tapering. I barely ran those last 3 weeks leading up to the marathon because I was overwhelmed w/ working full time & starting my first semester of grad school.

For the most part, I have followed my training plan, but I have listened to my body and cut down runs when I felt like it was the right thing to do.

After this race, I will take a little break from 'training' and will focus on being a bit more 'diverse' when it comes to exercising. I don't know if i have another marathon in me. I love the challenge of training, but it's a huge time hog!

Can't wait to meet you face-to-face! :)
Raquelita said…
This time around marathon training is definitely not as mentally and emotionally challenging. I think part of that is I'm not having to devote a lot of time to fundraising for TNT, but I think part of it is just knowing that I've finished those distances before. I didn't stick to my plan nearly as well as I should have my first time, and (so far) I've actually done a better job of following my program this time. However, I'm also slower and about 8 pounds heavier last time, so I feel like in some ways this is more physically challenging for me than it was last time.

I really enjoyed reading your perspective on this!
Anonymous said…
I like to take a little break after a big event, but it doesn't take long for me to refocus and get motivated for the next thing : )
I admire your new approach to marathon training. I don't think it should be this strict thing, especially for your fifth one. Listening to your body is most important!

Popular Posts