The 20 miler that was

After last week's disasterous 18.5 miles, I felt much better after Sunday's long run came and went. Why? Because I attempted 20 again in hopes that I could step down this weekend because manfriend and I are off to a wedding in Monterey, CA! And I was even more relieved when I finished 20 miles with fairly little pain.

Friday's BBQ with the runners went as well as can be expected. There was plenty of food, beer and laughter. After spending most of Saturday on our bikes and rehydrating, I was ready to tackle the run come Sunday. I parked at the running store early so I could get 4 miles in prior to the group run.

The 4 miles came and went and I met joined some friends for the next 5 or so miles. It's amazing what chatting with others will do to your mood! Instead of me focusing on the miles, the pain or the sweat dripping down my forehead, I was focused on a conversation. Lesson learned.

As a few of the runners turned around, I continued on solo headed toward Dorris Ranch, a place with some great filbert and hazelnut orchards that provide shade and dirt trails. After tackling the steep 1/4 mile hill, I enjoyed 2 x 2 mile loop through the orchards. At that point, the Garmin hit 14.5 mi and I headed back.

The last few miles were tough as always, but I surprised myself by being able to pick up the pace with 3 miles to go. I finished 20.35 miles in 2 h 53 min, which was an 8:30 min/mi average! It's not a Boston Qualifier, but at this point, I don't have high hopes of qualifying. I'll save that for a marathon when I don't have any ailments to heal (whenever that may be).

I stretched for a few, chugged some water and bee lined it to Starbucks where I bought an iced coffee and a chonga bagel w/ cream cheese. I also inhaled a banana, almonds and some dried cherries within the next 15 minutes. Gotta love a post 20 mile run appetite!

Congrats to Lisa who also had an awesome long run this past weekend!

Question(s) of the day: Have you ever been to the Redwoods in California? If so, what was your favorite part? If not, what's your favorite national landmark you've been to?

The manfriend and I will be camping in the Redwoods (hopefully we don't get attacked by bears) and then driving the rest of the way down to Monterey! Hopefully, he won't be too sick of my singing or constant babble by Monday. I haven't seen a lot of national landmarks (still want to see Hoover Dam, Mount Rushmore, Yosemite, Yellowstone...), but I did love going up into the St. Louis Gateway Arch. It is a very cool story to hear how it was built and then see the view from the very top!

Comments

Amber said…
Heading out for my 18 now! Yours and Lisa's long runs went well so mine will too right?! Right!!
abbi said…
Great job on your 20 miler!!
Jen Feeny said…
Girl you killed that 20 miler! Congrats!!!

P.S. Love what you've done with the place! (I suck and haven't made my rounds in awhile.)
Well done on the run!! That is awesome!! So glad you had a great 20. I think we both needed good training runs, so I am glad that we both had good runs this weekend. ;)

Have fun in Cali! Sounds like a fun road trip!

I have seen very few national monuments in the US... nothing that really stands out. I was so young when I saw Mt Rushmore so I don't think that even counts. So maybe seeing the Statue of Liberty, although it was from a distance so I don't even know if that counts. I guess my favorite monuments have all been outside of the US!!
What an amazing 20 miles! I could never even imagine running that much!

I love Mount Rainier. It is absolutely magnificent to be so up close and personal with that mountain.
Anonymous said…
That BQ is Not far off, Sass! GREAT run :) Having friends distract you Always works wonders - it usually makes you pick up the pace w/o realizing it sometimes. Really happy this run went so much better for you! I need to come log a few miles with you so I can pick it UP ;)
Raquelita said…
Great job on your 20 miler! Even though it's not a BQ pace, that's still quite speedy!

I've sadly never been to the Redwoods. I've only been to Cali three times -- twice to San Diego and once to the Bay Area. I'm hoping to run a half-marathon in wine country sometime in the next couple of years, though. My most famous national landmark has probably been the Empire State Building. Abroad, I'd probably say the Colosseum.

Popular Posts