Marathon Training without a PLAN

As you know, the past six weeks of marathon training have been me winging it. So, how goes it you ask? Not TOO bad. Once or twice a week I glance at a few plans and make sure I'm in the ballpark with what I should be doing. And then of course juggling around my schedule depending on what's going on with work, mentoring, weekend adventures and social events.

Well, last week around Wednesday the high mileage and stress had caught up to me. I noticed a few swollen glands on my neck and made the executive decision to take a day off. And with the upcoming few days in the wilderness full of hard work and good music, it was definitely the right decision. Thursday and Friday were spent running to do odds and ends in event production world in the midst of a hippy festival.

It was a lot of fun and I probably got at least five miles of walking/hiking/running around on some hilly terrain. My rear and legs were definitely feeling it, but my mind was aching for a real run. Saturday, I drove off to meet my mom at a country music festival (since that's where my heart lies). As soon as I got into town, I was ready for a short run before the music began. I busted out 5 miles or so in 42 min. It felt great to get the legs moving.

Sunday, was my step back long run. I know it's not good to beat the body up week after week of increasing mileage so I backed off. The plan: 30 min easy, 30 min faster, 30 min race pace.

I ran out of the campground getting crazy looks from the beer drinking concert goers. The first 30 min wasn't too bad, but I probably started out a bit fast (no garmin). The second 30 got tough and I had to walk for a min running down a straight highway through town. The final 30 was rough, but I was happy to finish it and glad that my pace was challenging.

As I ran back on that last straight stretch of highway I recalled doing one of my long runs on that very stretch of pavement just four years ago when I was training for my very FIRST marathon, which was also the Portland Marathon. The Oregon Jamboree is a festival that a bunch of my high school friends have gone to for several years. Lots of great memories!

And today, my right calf is hurting, even after ice and massaging. Bah. Maybe a little cross training tomorrow will be the answer?

This week is one of those weeks that is reminding how tough marathon training can be. On the one hand, I NEED to do all these runs, stretching and physical therapy. On the other hand, life doesn't stop. Alas, I'm stuck trying to squeeze training into lunch breaks or early mornings (which I don't do well) this week as I have a haircut, baby shower, work trip to Portland, mani/pedi and mentoring to fit in before my cousin's wedding.

Moral of the story, life is busy and marathon training takes a lot of time. I guess we'll see how this whole wingin' it thing goes when I hit a 20 miler. How is your life/running balance going? Do you feel like you let your training down when you miss a scheduled run or two?

Okay, back to operation calf rescue! Manfriend has the runner stick out and is ready to inflict some serious pain. Night y'all!

Comments

I have sort of been struggling w/ the whole balancing having a life + sleeping enough + marathon training. It all caught up with me last week when I had to take a day off work due to the exhaustion. I guess I forgot how hard marathon training is on me. I actually remember it being THIS hard when I trained for my marathon in '06 but I was doing a novice schedule then and I don't think I was disciplined back then and would miss runs occasionally.

So far I am doing better this week, but it's only Tuesday... And I know i am doign early morning runs Tues, Wed, and Fri this week. And Sun. Like today - I got up at 5 am to get in my 6 miles because it is going to be 91 and ridiculous humid today so there was no way those miles were happening after work... I'll run at 5 again tomorrow & Friday so I know when Saturday hits, I am going to be exhausted... But I switched my schedule around and am now using Saturday as a rest day so I can have ONE day during the week where I don't get up at 5 or 6... I am praying that my body actually lets me sleep in...

Well done on the 30/30/30 run! And doing it while at a festival? Impressive!
Amber said…
I have been feeling kind of run-down and exhausted lately too. This is a step-back week in my schedule and I'm SO HAPPY about that. Marathon training takes a lot out of you that's for sure.

At the same time, I'm enjoying it. It's nice to be so disciplined and committed to something!
Gracie said…
I have been following my plan, but I made it myself, so I made it easy (I'm not running my next marathon for time, just to sight-see and get long distance practice in for the next one)! I haven't been injured yet unless you count the agony in my quads right now...which is unrelated to running. So I kind of feel like I'm taking it too easy and not putting in enough miles. Last month I only did 135 miles and my race is Oct 2! Should I step it up???

Popular Posts