A Training Update

Holy moly, I just checked my dailymile.com profile for last week and realized why Sunday's long run was so hard.

Last week, I spent over 11 hrs doing exercise over a course of 12 workouts. I burned over 5,000 cals and went 76 miles including running and cycling. 35 of those miles were running. Several of those miles were hilly. I also completed two Lifeforce Fitness classes (boot camp style) in which we did weighted squats, dead lifts, walking lunges and serious ab work.

It was one of those weeks. That's why, looking back, I'm not shocked that Sunday's run was tough both mentally and physically. During the last 6 miles (1/3 of my run), I really had to dig deep to continue on.

And when I stopped by Trader Joe's immediately following the 18 miles to grab chocolate milk and bananas, it was difficult to stand in line. I had one of those moments where I really had to focus on a) not passing out or b) getting really pissed at the person in front of me who had a cart full of groceries.

Later that day, the manfriend and I were discussing my mental toughness and it made me realize that to run this race the way I want to, I need to pick up my mental game. I think I'm pretty positive most of the time when I run, but I'd like to use some real strategies like imagining my successful marathon day and choosing phrases that will get me through the tough miles, which I can practice now.

What strategies work for you in getting through a workout/work day/project/challenge that is especially tough? This training session, I'm really trying to listen to my body more, which is why last night I nixed running and chose to hit the gym for 75 minutes of weights, elliptical and a little lap swimming. It's simply what the body needed.

On that note, I can't believe the marathon is less than a month away. I never REALLY settled on a marathon plan, but I look at a few from Runner's World's Smart Coach Tool, Hal Higdon's Ultimate Marathon Training Guide and the FIRST Marathon Training Plan. I'm silly and indecisive like that.

Anywho, from here on out the plan is to play it safe, continue running and focus on pace and listen to the bod. I'm also really looking forward to meeting Amber and Lisa in person. It's crazy to feel like you're good friends with someone, yet you've never talked to them or met them face to face. That is the digital age we live in these days!

Comments

Amber said…
I got my dailymile update about the top people for the week and was thinking holy moly Lauren, you machine! Lol!

I have been getting A LOT of workouts in between hot yoga and running the last couple weeks as well but you're right, it's a good time to scale back, listen to our bodies and focus on getting to the start line injury-free and healthy!

Can't WAIT to meet you girls!!!!
I am SO excited to meet you face-to-face!!1!!!!

On Saturday, I talked to myself during the run... I don't think I said the words out loud, but at the end, who knows. I usually tell myself, things like, "Run with a purpose" when I feel like my form is starting to slide. Or I say, "One foot in front of the other" when I feel daunted by the # of miles left. And then for the rest of the run I tell myself, "You are runnign strong!"

I have def learned that these long runs are a huge mental game. I really focused on staying positive during my 20 miler and I think it really, really helped.

But yah, I am sure I looked like a crazy lady, mouthing these phrases to myself. ;)
Gracie said…
'Cause your a machine! You amaze me by turning out so many high quality miles!
Sheesh, lady!! After all that, and still doing 18 miles, I'm thinking you've got a tough mind already! I hear ya, though. That's something I've focused on a Lot during this training cycle - last time I was really easy on myself, thinking I'd overdo it if I wasn't. Now, when it gets hard and/or I'm not into the run (mentally), I just tell myself over and over that "these are the runs that make you stronger". :)

Popular Posts