Food for Thought

Did you know...

"Between 1970 and 2010, energy intake has increased by over 600 calories per day. Grain-based desserts (for example, cakes and cookies) are the highest ranking contributor to energy intake in the US population, while sodas and sports drinks provide the highest source of calories to adolescents, followed closely by pizza."

Source and more info on the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Report

I saw this quote in Health magazine and honestly, wasn't that surprised. But I thought it would be fun to share with you all.

My thoughts on it: While we may eat a lot more, I think we're also exercising more as a society (and therefore burning off a lot of those extra cals). Well, as a healthy blogging community anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it feels like exercise has become much more mainstream and expected nowadays. I know our obesity rates are ever increasing, but I think that stems from what people are being taught at a young age.

And soda intake by kids...don't get me started. They should be drinking water or milk! I rarely drank soda as a child. We were a very low sugar intake house (no sugar cereals or little debbies lying around) so I really had no opportunity to get addicted to it. I occasionally had Root Beer during our family Friday pizza night. Now, I probably have half a soda in an entire year. I'd just rather get my high fructose corn syrup elsewhere (or nowhere actually).

So yeah, America, let's work from day 1 to make sure we're setting healthy examples for our kids by practicing what we're preaching.

And finally, those cookies and cinnamon roles are part of my life that I truly value. If I had to give up some of those baked goods, life just wouldn't be as sweet. ;) And we know I make a healthified pizza. It can be done.

What's your take on our increased calorie consumption and America's obesity epidemic? Do you do anything personally to help the cause?

I know as someone passionate about healthy lifestyles, I always try to be encouraging and non judgmental when a coworker or acquaintance inquires about a new exercise routine, general advice, healthy food options, etc. What I know from personal experience is: no one will change because you tell them to. They have to want to change first.

*I'm not a registered dietician, but am simply someone who is passionate in talking and learning about healthy living, nutrition and exercise.

Comments

Amber said…
I think as a "healthy living blog" community it seems like people are exercising more actually. I really don't think that's the case. I think that (kids especially) people are spending WAY MORE TIME on their butts in front of computers/tv's/xboxes/whatever.

Other than certain friends I know very few people who exercise 3+ times a week. It's kind of sad :(
Lindsey Mordoff said…
That is a very interesting quote. I didn't know that either but I'm also not surprised. It seems to me that there is a large part of society that exercises a lot but also a large community with very little exercise in their daily lives. And not too much in the middle.

I totally agree that kids should not be drinking soda!

I get a lot of questions at work about the "weird" food I eat. I try to give people information about it and some health benefits if they ask, but hopefully in a non judgmental way.
The sad part is, it's not only calories numbers that have increased dramatically! Percentage of people overweight/obese, the number of kids being diagnosed with weight-related health issues, the Size of "portions"...etc. Ugh, it really is a day by day effort to reverse/improve this now! I HOPE that as an RD I'm doing something, and my goals are in line with prevention, not just treatment. And luckily there are people like you who are "just interested", and put the info out there, too! :)
Gracie said…
Here in Louisiana I rarely see people exercise and I regularly see children drinking soda and eating fried food. It is horrible. Almost everyone around me is obese - literally everyone I work with is overweight or obese, and they all ridicule my food choices all the time!
Haley said…
I think it is not only the amount of calories being eaten, but the kind. Most food now days is processed in some faraway land and has way too long of a shelf life. Nobody thinks about what must be in a food to give it a good long shelf life, and how it might be affecting their bodies. I see our society becoming one that eats less and less fresh food and it saddens me. I see peers who think that making a homemade meal is popping a lasagna in the oven or boiling up a pasta dish from a box (don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that on occasion..moderation, moderation, moderation!)

I truly believe that processed foods play a huge role in the obesity epidemic.
I think it's really sad... And I think the trends are extremely regional. I think the blogging community is the exception, not the norm, unfortunately, and exercise is not a part of many people's lives. Which is sad. I did not grow up in a sugar house either. We never had soda and sugar cereal was something we only had when we were camping.

I believe in everything in moderation. I don't drink much soda, but I will have the occasional can of diet coke (and I did drink coke in France because it was served in a glass bottle and tasted oh so good!). And I will have baked goods occasionally, when I make the effort to make GF ones (which isn't very often). There isn't really anything I won't let myself have. But when/if I have kids - I will def raise them as I was raised by my parents - which means very little sugar and very little processed foods.
Thanks everyone for such great comments! It's probably the case that I surround myself so much with healthy people and activities (and I live in a very active community) that I notice it less. Perhaps exercise is advertised more now days, but utilized less.

It's very sad to see children who already have health issues as a result of how they are being raised and the foods that are put on their plates.

I think it's also tough for those who become obese to get out of it because our society looks down upon larger people and the self esteem issues and ridicule kids will give each other makes it tough to find the strength to pull yourself out of those bad habits, especially when the parental figures aren't able to provide the proper education.
Heather said…
This is insane! But I'm not surprised at all. There's so much hidden sugar in everything and meals are so carb heavy, it's hard anymore to figure out what a balanced meal looks like. While we don't have any forbidden foods at our house, we do not have sugar around my daughter for obvious reasons. :) We are trying hard to teach her the basics of fruits, vegetables, protein, etc. and treats sometimes. After her allergy tests last week (ouch!) we took her to get a cookie. We're careful not to reward behavior or celebrate with food ALL the time; but once in a while is Ok.

Popular Posts