Finances: you will be mine!

I'm feeling better after a little date with my finances on Sunday. Remember how I told you my three finance goals for February?

1. have set up a mint.com account for myself (and the manfriend if he so wishes) and will begin funneling all my finance info into that thing and begin understanding the tool.

2. have completed and filed my taxes (seriously, there's no reason for me to wait every year. I have no kids or properties to make things tricky.)

3. have created a budget for the manfriend and I (ex. 30% to mortgage, 30% to bills, 10% to groceries, 20% to savings, 10% fun). Our budgets don't have to follow the same amounts or areas, but will be focused on what each of us needs to put $ toward.

That's right, I finished my taxes! It was surprisingly easy to do online (I usually go the paper route) and I was able to file my federal and state taxes for free. I also have determined what my refund will go toward before it hops into my bank account. No sense letting it sit there to be spent!

The manfriend and I also worked a bit on #3 and have a better vision for where we're headed. It makes me feel so much better. I think we're both sleeping better already.

A few fun things around the blogosphere:
Boston Qualifying standards get tougher (there goes my chance to BQ)!
Buying a townhouse at 22!
My latest fashion crush How can you not love that hair and those silver Tom's?
Have fabulous hair by NOT washing it!
How does a week in Paris for your 30th bday sound?!

Coming up: How I'm going to get my rear in gear and train for that tri and 20 mile trail race. Um, yeah. I'm trying to remind myself I prefer to be totally prepared for races, but it's a bit tough when the weather just turned to crap and these things require some serious time outside.

Comments

Amber said…
Aww thanks for the link love!

I'm doing our taxes online myself this weekend - I'm NERVOUS! I've always given them to my mom to do. hahaha! Hope it goes as well as yours did!

Great plans for getting the finances under control. It's tough at first but once it becomes habit you'll be good to go!
I filed my taxes before I left so I would have my refund to come home to. :) I am one of the weird people who actually enjoys filing her taxes. :)

Good work on the financial goals. After this trip to Paris, I need to buckle down and really start throwing as much extra money at my student loans as possible... I'd love to pay off at least one of my undergrad loans this year. It makes me sick to think how much student loan debt I have. It's good debt, but still... Too much!

Thanks for linking to my blog! That was so sweet of you! And thanks so much for the camera tips - I am going to try that out in the museums today!
Lisa-I hope changing those settings works on your camera. I'll be interested to hear. I also want to work on paying down my student loans. THey aren't out of control, but it wouldn't hurt to get them paid off sooner.
Lindsey said…
Good job getting your taxes done! I'm hoping to get mine done this weekend.

I set up a mint.com account a couple weeks ago. So far it seems to be pretty handy.

That's crazy that you know Katie Parker! We were roommates through most of college. She says hi!

Popular Posts