Revelations in Hot Yoga

This morning I met two friends for hot yoga at a newish studio, Zenspot. Audrey (in from Monterey) and Laura were both roommates from college. We went to a 75 minute hot yoga flow class (which I much preferred over Bikram).

It's been a while since I've attended hot yoga, so I was reminded how much mental strength it takes to get through an entire class of 100+ degree temps while bending, flexing, holding and dripping away.

I walked into a class where I knew I wouldn't do everything right. I looked in the mirror and saw someone who was strong and completing the poses to the best of her sweaty ability. I took water/sweat wiping breaks when I needed them. And I was perfectly okay with it. I didn't judge others in the room, I didn't care when I couldn't stay in the pose the entire time, I simply enjoyed the detox to its fullest.

So in the spirit of the impending Valentine's holiday, my suggestion to you is: once in a while, make a date with yourself. Plop down the $20 drop in fee. Do not expect perfection. Smile.

Comments

Amber said…
I LOVE doing flow in the hot room! It relaxes me so so so much!

Glad you had such a great hot yoga class :)
Anonymous said…
great tips for valentines day! I've got a packed schedule with school but I'm thinking next weekend I might try a yoga class for the first time ever!
Katherine
Those sweat-inducing hours are Not easy, but are So refreshing :) You've said it right here - one of my favorite things about yoga/that I've learned from the practice - you don't need perfection, you just need to meet Yourself on the mat, where you are and with what you're ready to tackle.

Happy V-day weekend!
liz said…
Such great advice! I really want to get my butt into a yoga class this year, preferably somewhere close to home so I can frequent it! For now I do a few little Netflix routines :)

Happy Valentine's Lauren!
Lisa said…
I think that's a great attitude to have - so many people get frustrated or give up when they don't get it right the first time. But it's a learning process, just like everything else.

Popular Posts