Finances and Shopping go together like...

You guys love to hate hills, eh?! Well, a few of you actually love 'em. Crazies! It was fun to read all of your responses. Anywho, on to fashion!

Something dawned on me the other day as I was browsing through my February Glamour during lunch. I saw all these cute outfits and suggestions for the perfect laid back date outfit (heels, jeans and a cute bomber jacket) and yet, I didn't really want any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I find myself lusting after E of Academichic's new Banana Republic Dress or Linda of Rose a la mode's DKNY watch, Anthropologie necklace and AE jeans but I'm not rushing off to the mall in search of these things. I mean, I already tried on the AE skinny jeans, but they didn't really fit me the same.

Alas, the more serious I become about saving, the more I realize I don't need that STUFF. Sure, I'd like another pair of jeans, but my bank account likes those funds more.

And honestly, I'm trying to woo my fashion envied self with thoughts of a trip to Greece or Italy or Ireland someday! I mean really, who needs another pair of jeans or shoes when you could take the trip of a lifetime?

While my three week European Adventure was amazing, it also left me lusting after more international travel. My dream trips include a) the manfriend and I biking/traveling through Europe during the Tour de France and catch a few days of the action b) hiking around little towns in Greece, soaking up the sunshine and jumping into that bright blue ocean c) traveling through Ireland and d) laying on a tropical white sandy beach, hiking and enjoying fresh food and fruity drinks all week.

It's not like I have it all figured out, but when my cravings for new clothes get bad, I remind myself of a few things:

1. The number of JCrew online SALE purchases that have resulted in things I can't or don't wear often (too big, weird color, not the same quality as it appeared online or in catalog)

2. Instead of searching for hours online, head to the store! When I shop in stores I often find that things don't fit the way I thought they might from browsing online. This means that for me, going into the stores is actually more helpful and results in LESS money wasted because I realize that a specific top or skirt just doesn't fit my body right or isn't worth the price. Additionally, sometimes I just need to get out and try some clothes on. Simply the act of trying on the latest designs makes my heart happy!

3. Remove yourself from their mailing list. Really, it works! I unsubscribed from JCrew and now I don't even think about heading over to their site. Craaaazy! But their catalog is pretty beautiful so I always spend a few minutes to page through it.

4. Your spouse, friends and family are more important. As a single gal, I didn't think much of zipping off to Tar-get or the mall after work/working out because I had no one to get home to. I could easily shop without too much guilt. But now, I'd rather be home with the manfriend and the pup watching House Hunters than sifting through overpriced clothing.

5. There is more than enough clothing at second hand stores or resale shops. Don't make the problem worse. Basically, I give myself a guilt trip about wanting new things. It works.

6. I realize the marketing tool in it all. Whatever the sale is or the gimmick or the buy one, get one half off...I just remind myself that unless I would buy it full price, the sale probably is more a trick than anything.

7. You want to be someone in control of your money so you can travel on that dream vacation someday.

So, those are a few of the tricks that work for me. Some of them might seem pretty ridiculous, but for someone who has been semi addicted to shopping in the past (shopped when I was depressed, bored, mad, etc), these tools have worked. Do you have any great tips of the trade to share?

And with that, my favorite fashion blogs: Kendi Everyday, Rose a la mode, lizzypunch, Academichic & Sidewalk Chic. Do you have any to add to the list?

I also wanted to say THANK YOU again for your reflections on the obesity rate and exercise in our country. I realize it's a serious issue and also find that living in Eugene, OR AKA Tracktown, USA where there are so many people being active and seeking out quality food, it's less obvious although still prevalent.

Comments

Gidget said…
I'm not going to lie, just reading your post makes me want to buy an adorable bomber jacket! Also, I'm completely in love with AcademicChic as well!
I have barely bought any clothes in the last 6 months. When I thought about goign ot the mall, I thought about my Paris trip and realized that I really did not need to spend money on clothes when I had that expense comign down the pipe. But now that trip has come and gone and I still have no desire to go shopping, which is really weird. I am tihnking it might be the weather. The thought of getting bundled up and going to the mall? No thanks! (we are having another cold spell)

I also think right now I am sort of overwhelmed between work and running and studying for a finance exam I'll take in June, it's sucking the energy out of me. I might actually hire my friend to be my personal shopper as dumb as that sounds. She's got great taste and knows me well. I need some new pieces for my wardrobe but I just have no desire to shop and she loves to shop. So I might give her a budget and tell her to go to town...
Raquelita said…
I'm not shopping for any new attire during 2011. I just want to focus on other areas of my life. However, not shopping can create some extra remixing challenges since I'm also a style blogger.

Btw, we're hosting a Shabby Apple Giveaway over at Fashionable Academics right now.

Popular Posts