Impromptu 5K

Holla! It's Friday!

Yesterday afternoon our speed coach sent the Fastrunnerz/Flyers a quick email about our workout for the evening changing. As you know, every Thurs (whether I like it or not), I meet up with a bunch of other runners to do a speedy workout lead by a few elite runners (like full time training for the Olympics type athletes).

Well, the new plan had us meeting at a local park by the river to run this 5k put on each month by the local Eugene Track Club (who sponsors some of the elites). My brain and my body wasn't quite sure it was ready for a 5k, but I did what I had to.

I registered with 10 min to go before the race and then jogged around for a half mile so these hamstrings wouldn't be screaming at me 1 mile in. I told myself "you will run this thing easy. no hammy issues tonight."

Alas, the legs took off and I just followed. Mile 1: 7: 24, Mile 2: 7:10, Mile 3.1: 8:30. Mile 3 was a bit slower because I didn't have a headlamp and the final straight before the turn to the finish had a lot of cracks in the pavement and it was pitch black. I didn't really want to face plant BEFORE the finish line.

All in all, a 22:24 for one of my faster 5ks in the dark and unprepared! I'll take it.

And with that, I bid you HAPPY FRIDAY! I have plans for running, finance organization, vacuuming and hanging out with a few friends who are here from out of town on my list for the weekend.

Hamstring update: The right hammy is crazy tight. Foam rolling helps (when I remember to do it), but it feels like I need to begin enlisting serious measures. Like a massage, sitting on a lacrosse ball during work to release the tension, see a chiropractor or go back to my physical therapist.

Comments

J said…
Congrats on the speedy 5k!! Well done! Have a great weekend!
Jen Feeny said…
Look at you speedster! Don't you love it when you pull off more than what you thought you would?!?! :)
Amber said…
You are SO SPEEDY!

Nice work :)
Gracie said…
Nice 5k. I ran in the dark last night, too, and I only almost tripped twice...happy weekend.
Lindsey said…
That is a great time! Great job! I ran the race too, the 10K and also didn't feel prepared. I definitely thought I was going to trip on the dark part of the path!! One more month until daylight savings :)
Lindsey said…
That is a great time! Great job! I ran the race too, the 10K and also didn't feel prepared. I definitely thought I was going to trip on the dark part of the path!! One more month until daylight savings :)
NICE! Who doesn't love a good race-outta-nowhere ;)

Be careful with that muscle, girl! Maybe PT? Do what you gotta do.

Popular Posts