Legs = spent

Whew! Much to the manfriend's delight, I allowed us to do nothing on Sunday. Well not NOTHING, but no riding (or running). Instead, we did errands, yard work, house cleaning, etc. I made up for that by getting in a good 7.5 miles of running last night and then came home for another 8 mi on the bike.

Today, I rode to work and went for a ride after work to get prepped for this weekend's 75 miler, which benefits the local Boys and Girls Club. After all, there's nothing like preparing for an event the week of. Luckily, you can sort of get away with that in riding, but NOT in running. I guess that means I really do need to CHOOSE A MARATHON PLAN. I'll report back when I've done so.

But enough about that, back to the riding. I set off from work headed to the longest climb I know. Luckily, it's fairly scenic and not straight uphill the entire way, but in total it's a gradual six mile climb. You could say these legs were dunzo after that.

After bombing down the back side of the hill, I opted for a bit longer more flat route home, avoiding a steep one mile climb. I figured I might just tip over if I attempted that on tired legs. About 18 miles in, I stopped at a little church and shoved down 3/4 of my luna bar and let my shaky legs rest a bit.

Has anyone tried the Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bar? It is absolutely my favorite flavor. I forgot how much I loved it. It's like a chocolate cookie with a bit of crushed candy cane in it. Yum.

After a minute or two I chugged some more water and clipped back in. The legs appreciated the flat terrain and higher speeds. I picked the manfriend up at his criterium race so we could bike home together. Once home I promptly got to work on pan fried polenta, chicken and marinara. Have you ever tried polenta? It's a nice change from pasta.

I should mention that I was also wearing a backpack with my work clothes in it, which weighed about 6 lbs. Note to self: 6 lbs doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're riding for 30 miles, it makes a difference. Total mileage today: 36

Now if only I could remember to stretch after riding. Strange the habits we develop for one sport and yet can't seem to follow in another. Time to hit the hay!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is the BEST Luna flavor, imo. :) Nice riding! I was wondering when this 75-mile ride would come up...ha! You're right though - amazing how thet raining can sort of slack for cycling, while in Running you'd never get away with that. Although with a 1/2m not far behind you, the first few training weeks are unnecessary anyway, right? ;)
Amber said…
I'm thinking of cutting back my runs from 5 a week to 4 a week so I'm interested to see what your plan looks like!

You are crazy! I do not think I could ride that far - and after work to boot!
Gracie said…
Giiirl! You're crazy, in a good way!
Holy moley. I kind of got tired just reading this post!

Looking forward to seeing what you go with for your training. You are so in shape, those first few weeks are so not a big deal for you since you are already running further than what most plans prescribe!
Run Jess Run said…
I enjoy the berry almond Luna!

Popular Posts