Another half bites the dust!

Today I remembered what it's like to wake up early for a race. Not as early as some races (4am wakeup calls for San Diego and Nashville, if I recall correctly), but still 5:45am had my body awake at 4am, going in and out of sleep just waiting for the alarm to go off.

Breakfast was 1/2 a banana, 1 homemade banana/blueberry muffin and a handful of walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts. On the side was Emergen-C and some cold meds. The chest and throat weren't feeling so hot, but I knew the legs could manage the mileage.

The manfriend was super excited to be up and out the door by 6:20 am.

I think my camera got set on some funny color setting because all of these have an interesting blue/green tint to them. Understanding your camera is overrated... ;)

Jessica and I run a very similar pace and have run several other races together. Because of my sickness and her triathalon last weekend, we both agreed that if either one of us felt stronger, she could go ahead.

Helvetia Half Marathon is held about 25 min outside Portland, OR and takes you through some beautiful country roads, past the Helvetia Tavern (serving the burgers at the finish line), Helvetia Winery and even The Roloff Family Farm!

It was cool to start and end the race at the Hillsboro Stadium because spectators and racers were everywhere stretching, chatting and hanging around.

It was a warm day here (in the high 60s by the end of the race), but a beautiful course with gently rolling hills. Thanks to the last few months of several hilly 10 milers, the legs felt strong the entire race. At times, the miles were just ticking by. All of a sudden we were at nine miles.

From there on out, I was feeling strong, using my Luna Moons for fuel and incentive to get to the next mile. I pushed ahead of Jess and just kept on truckin. I ended up finishing a little over a minute faster than her. Here I am with 1 mile to go focused on the road ahead.

I decided not to hit puke threshold, but pushed the legs to keep the pace strong. I finished with a time of 1:47:41 and 14/319 in my age division. It was definitely one of my stronger times, if not the best.


When we finally made it home, I took a much needed nap. It's amazing how much a hard 13 miles takes out of you. I'm hoping to take it easy tomorrow, but I have a serious need to get on my bike and spin.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I'm testing out one of the new design templates blogger is offering. So far, so good. Thanks for the new options, Blogger!

Comments

Amber said…
AHHH! Look at your new blog design!!! Wowie, love it!!!!

Anyways, can't believe how speedy you are even though you were sick all week! You rock, lady!

Lisa and I booked our hotel in Portland tonight! Eeiiii! So excited for October!
Anonymous said…
completely unrelated: LOVE the new page!! :) Looking good over here!

Now, congrats! That is a GREAT finishing time, not even taking into account the fact that you've been sick all week. Clearly those legs were ready for a challenge :)
Yes - love the new blog design, looks fantastic!

Love the pic of man friend. :)

Well done on the half - that is a great time. Especially considering you aren't quite 100% due to the pesky cold. Well done, you!

And yes, as Amber said, we booked our hotel & I booked my flights. Makes it all feel a bit more 'real'.

Just got back from my 8 miler. Time to hit the shower! Hope you are taking it easy today!
Anonymous said…
awesome time!! congratulations!
Raquelita said…
Congratulations on finishing with such an excellent time, and especially since you've been feeling under the weather!
Run Jess Run said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Run Jess Run said…
Great job!! A nap is always deserved after long runs and races!!

I have a question for you...I'm getting ready to pack for my 2 weeks in Oregon and I'm trying to figure out what the weather will be like out there. Is it usually 80's and 90's or is it 60's and 70's??? Thanks!

Popular Posts