The Road to Recovery

Well, it's official, I finished my last LONG run for the Peterson Ridge Rumble training! Today's run totaled 18.5 brutal miles after yesterday's brick workout. I completed a 3 x (20 min ride, 1 mile run) brick workout that was actually pretty fun.

Over the multitude of races I have trained for, I've learned a lot about proper recovery from hard/long workouts from experience and reading various articles. I've found that the right recovery techniques can be almost more important than completing every single mile noted on your training schedule.

As a result, I thought it would be fun to go over some of the techniques I use when recovering from a long effort, say an 18 mile run.

Be sure to have some fuel immediately after your workout (donuts not necessarily recommended) to help replenish all those calories you burned. This includes H2O as well. I demolished a banana oat walnut bar immediately after dropping off Michelle post run. I then came home to find these treats the manfriend had bought for me.

Foam roll your aching legs. I usually spend about 10 minutes foam rolling my IT bands, hamstrings (holy ouch), quads, calves and glutes. Then I move on to downward facing dog and other necessary yoga poses.


Next up, the ICE BATH!

I have to preface this with saying, it's not fun, but I've found it really helps my recovery time and joint pain. Generally, I ice bath after any run longer than 12 or so miles. It takes a bit of preparation and mental tricks to get through a 10-15 minute ice bath.

Fill the bathtub up halfway with cold water and then add a tray or two of ice cubes. It is plenty cold to aid in recovery.

Have the tunes on hand...

Grab yourself a hot beverage & and put on a sweatshirt

Submerge yourself!

I'll admit, the first 20 seconds of submerging myself are utter hell. It hurts so bad it takes your breath away and all you can focus on is the pain. But after those 20 seconds are over, your body is slowly able to acclimate to the freezing water.

I listen to 3-4 songs until I hop out (generally 10-15 min), drain the tub and shower. Don't forget, your body was just in freezing water. Do not turn the water on super hot like you might normally do. Luke warm is much better.

Treat your feet well. I usually lather this salt scrub on my feet at the end of my shower to help my calloused, nasty feet.

Put on your comfy clothes and thick socks

Be sure to refuel AGAIN with a meal that has plenty of protein, carbs and fat within an hour or so of completing your run. Your body needs it. I find that few things fill me up and satisfy me after a tough run like an egg, cheese and veggie sandwich.


Lay low (but not too low). That doesn't mean you should lay on the couch the rest of the day, but a nap or some tv time won't hurt you. Your body deserves a little rest. Moving around a bit will help the legs from getting really stiff. Do chores around the house, grocery shopping, etc.

This is probably the hardest piece of recovery for me to follow. As a busy body, I really have to force myself to lay down, but find that when I do my body thanks me ten fold.

And finally, remember to continue fueling yourself and stay well hydrated. It's likely that you will be a hungry beast the remainder of that day and into the next day as well.

What techniques work best for your tough workout recovery? Is there something you notoriously forget or avoid doing?

Comments

Gracie said…
1. I almost always want eggs after a long run! Why is that?!
2. If it was hot out I always have club soda - I think I'm craving electrolytes.
3. Lay low?! I do my long runs before 8-hour on my feet work days. I'm nuts!!!
This was a lot of great advice. Thank you!
Lindsey said…
I'm glad you posted all this advice! Since I'm new to long training runs, and I obviously did something wrong since I'm injured, this advice will help me out a lot!

The brick workout you did sounds really hard! And great job with your 18 miles today!
Ice baths were key for me when marathon training. They hurt so good, I guess you could say? I had to distract myself so I would put a movie on (I can see the tv from my tub w/ the door open).

Other than that, I need to eat right away (um, usually while i take my ice bath - I realize that grosses most people out!). And I also try to drink plenty of water!

Well done on the run!
This race has come up pretty quickly! Loved this post - I imagine you're pretty diligent about all of the above :) I usually make a smoothie and/or small recovery meal (depends on time of day/weather outside), stretch, & hydrate! It's pretty rare that I'll stay "in" the rest of the day - like you, there are always things to go do/be done!

I could use a little more discipline in the ice bath + foam roll areas...ha, oof.
Emily said…
donut holes are my FAVORITE way to refuel. The bf knows he needs to go on a donut hole mission before coming out to spectate my race this weekend!

Also, did my first ice bath this weekend. I'm now a fan (not of the actual bath of course...but of the after.)
Thanks for sharing all of this. I have to admit, the thought of ever doing an ice bath scares me.
Run Jess Run said…
I always notice that I want to gnaw my arm off because I'm so hungry all day and drink my weight in water as well.
Linz said…
Great post! I'm really really looking forward to upping my mileage this season after two seasons of injury. My 10k race recovery plan on Sat. felt like your 18 miler recovery :-P ~ I ate, I bathed, I ate some more, I lay on the couch and watched a movie, I iced my IT band and ate again. I still can't bring myself to do an ice bath, but take a hot epsom salt bath after any run +1hr. Have you ever used epsom salts, and if so, how do they compare to ice baths?
Laura said…
I love the step-by-step guide to ice baths - I've yet to take one, but knowing exactly how to do it might help me take the plunge.
J said…
I did my first ice bath in a while on Saturday and I had trouble filling up the tub so that the water was over my quads. My quads are always the sorest but they are the hardest to actually help recover!

Popular Posts