The way the cookie crumbles

Last night I had the hankering to bake something sweet. There are usually one or two problems with that. First of all, I have a list of about 100 or so starred recipes in google reader so it's going to take me a while to go through them and select one. Secondly, we don't usually have exactly everything I need for the recipe, but I still roll with it. And finally, most nights we probably don't need more sweets.

Alas, we had most of the items for The Transplanted Baker's peanut butter chocolate cookies. There were just a few problems that made these cookies easy to crumble.

The ingredients I substituted or didn't have: whole wheat flour subbed for all purpose flour (ww tends to dry things out), no peanuts, didn't cut up the chocolate chips into smaller chunks and Ididn't have cheaper (oily) peanut butter on hand. Baking is a lot more finicky than cooking, but I tend to risk it anyway. So with all these minor changes and possibly a heavy hand on flour (measuring precisely is really important with flour), they weren't as moist as I'd like, but they still taste like a darn good Pure Americana Peanut Butter Cookie.






And the house still smells like fresh baked peanut butter cookies. If nothing else, make these for the fragrance. And for portion control, follow my lead and give your significant other the tupperware with 20 cookies and give yourself the one with 4.

Comments

Carmy said…
Wow, those cookies look super good. Can you mail me one, please.
I am in awe of the fact that you baked on a week night. Baking is something that is strictly a weekend activity for me... and then i still probably only bake once every 3 months?

Those cookies look delicious! Do you love your kitchen aid mixer?
Amber said…
YUMMY! Those look so so good.

I almost NEVER keep chocolate chips on hand because they would get eaten WAY too fast (by me!) haha
Lisa-Yeah, I love the mixer. It's great! Sometimes I just find an excuse to use it. :) We didn't eat the cookies until 930. Not exactly what you should be doing right before bed, but ohhh well.
siri said…
You made them! Well done, my friend. I was actually wondering how they'd turn out with some whole wheat (I generally don't bother using it in my cookies and cakes since I bake my bread with whole wheat and that should be good enough, right???) One suggestion: GET YOURSELF A KITCHEN SCALE! PRONTO!!! I use mine on a daily basis and it saves SO much time and ensures accuracy every time (wouldn't it be nice to just scoop that peanut butter directly into the mixing bowl instead of carefully measuring it out into a cup rather than messing with a cup measurer and then a spatula?) I haven't measured flour that way in years- one cup all purpose flour = 4. 9 oz, done and done, no scooping, no skimming of the excess back into the bag with a knife. Ok, I'll stop talking now.
Gracie said…
Those look really good! Peanut butter and chocolate just can't be beat.
So siri- apparently, i should get a kitchen scale? I'll get right on that...if it's cheap. :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
I always have that same problem...not having all of the ingredients. BUT that was how I found my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. All it is is 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and 1tsp of vanilla extract. Yields about 16 cookies. Simple and very good! And I pretty much always have at least those few ingredients. And I forgot...10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Popular Posts