From decadent to just slightly sweet

Well, since the coconut vanilla cupcakes are gone, it was naturally time for more baking. To offset the extra decadence of Tuesday night's dessert, I opted for these healthy New York Times carrot cake muffins. It not only satisfied my baking urge, but gave me something I can take with me to snack on this weekend at the mountain!





I even used flax eggs (egg= 1 T flax meal w/ 3 T almond milk) instead of regular eggs so the manfriend could have the remaining eggs this weekend when I'm out of town. Aw, shucks. He better appreciate them!

I topped a few with coconut flakes to make an extra special topping. These muffins came out just as the recipe said, just sweet enough. That's the difference between a cupcake and a muffin in my book, a muffin can be breakfast and a cupcake probably should not because it sends you on a sugar high.

The manfriend found this fun postcard on the fridge that I sent to him in May 2009 when Annie and I ventured off to Europe. I wrote on the back that we had pretty much been doing what these guys were doing for the past 10 days (drinking a lot of beer) so he may not notice me when I return.

The funny thing is, although we didn't drink too much and walked and biked A TON, I still gained about 10 lbs on that trip! Oh well, it was worth it. Some things just are. Things like gelato every day, chocolat croissants in Paris, fondue in Switzerland and the best pizza you've ever tasted.

And for another random Friday addition, here's my favorite shirt of the manfriend's. Do you have a favorite clothing item that significant other or family member wears? I'm a sucker for a cowboy inspired button up. What can I say? I grew up in the land of grass seed farmers and summer evenings spent at the rodeo.


Weekly workout front:
My training for the 20 miler and the tri is still going well. Last weekend I conquered 17 and this weekend I plan to be giving my bod some serious xtraining with downhill and xcountry skiing. Last night our speed group ran the local 5k race and I tied my PR 5K time of 22:13! Not too shabby. I'm also getting better at spending some serious time with my foam roller. It hurts so good.

Any fun weekend plans? How about any fun or serious workouts you have lined up?

Some fun posts on the blogosphere this week:
Did you do your edible homework for Ashley?
Foam rolling tips from Jenny Hadfield
Someone's 'goin' to the chapel and she's gonna get maaaarried!'
Butternut mac n cheese I can't wait to try!

Comments

Amber said…
I gained weight in Europe too. All the gelato and pastries for sure!
Emily said…
i saw this recipe and saved it! not that i ever bake...but still.

my bf is a tshirt addict. he wears american apparel shirts of all his favorite sports teams. i love stealing them and wearing them to bed b/c they're so gosh darn comfy.
I lost a little bit of weight on this Paris trip but maybe it's because I couldn't eat any of the yummy pastries/bread? I was pretty surprised to step on the scale when I got back!

Have a fun weekend - downhill & xcountry skiing sounds like so much fun + a great workout!

I had a happy hour last night then met up with another blogger and went to a Jodi Picoult reading, whcih was cool! And that concludes my social plans for the weekend. The rest of the weekend will be spent studying. Yee haw! Is it June 4th yet? That's the exam day. I might start counting down the days...
Nice speedy 5K! Hope you had fun in the mountains :)
I fully anticipate indulgences in Europe (whenever we finally go...), and don't think there's any other way to fully enjoy those countries! "Best pizza you've ever tasted"...I can only imagine!
liz said…
ooh looks delicious, minus the coconute :) I pretty much love all of Chris's clothes,i can't pick one thing, luckily he's got good style :)

Popular Posts