The Friday commute and black bean burger believers

One of the beauties of living in a smaller city (150k with college students), is that it never takes more than 15-20 minutes to get to work or almost any place, even with traffic. But as a procrastinator, I find myself stalling and doing every last little chore in the morning until I have to race out the door. This usually requires that I take my trusty Toyota.

Well, today I had the urge to ride my bike to work after 30 minutes of early morning spinning on the trainer. I guess I was trusting the weatherman who said there was a break in the rain today. I managed to make the 25 minute commute with just a bit of sprinkles and minor mud splattering up the rear (from the road grime).

The commute is about six miles so it requires that I wear athletic gear and change when I arrive at the office.

In the spring and summer when the weather is nice, I try to ride about twice a week. But sometimes due to work events, errands, meetings, running commitments after work, I simply can't transport everything I need via bike. I'm definitely in awe of those who are dedicated bike commuters no matter the weather.

This summer, my goal is to run home from the office a few times just for fun.

I'm curious, do you commute via car, bike, public transit, walk or a mixture of it all? If I lived in a big city, I would take full advantage of a train or walking if it made sense.

Random notes: Last weekend when I went to see my parents, I brought supplies to make black bean burgers. When I told my dad I was starting the burgers he replied "Black bean, as in, they don't have any meat? I better head to the store." He was joking of course, but I changed his skeptical self to a black bean burger believer! Now try and say that three times fast.

I'm hoping to recreate this beauty that is the margherita pizza on Saturday night. Are you drooling yet?

Thanks Heather of Hangry Pants for sending me a little goody package! I was a runner up in a recent reader appreciation contest and received some of her Vegan Snack Time cookies, tea and attune foods coupons.

And finally, good luck to all of you National Half Marathoners out there! There are a ridiculous number of blogging runners going to that race. Run fast (and happy)!

Who's watching basketball tonight? I was in shock last night that Arizona crushed Duke! Gooooo Pac-10! Hope you're having a fabulous Friday.

Comments

HangryPants said…
Glad you got everything! Thanks for entering my contest. Have a great weekend.
I am such a bad Oregonian, I haven't ridden my bike in about two years! I seriously need to get it fixed.

I usually commute by bus, but when it's nice out I walk (about 2 miles each way).

Also, I love the sound of your black bean burgers, I have never tried making bean burgers myself.
Amber said…
I would LOVE to bike commute to work - at the one townhouse we *almost* bought I would have been able to because even though it was more km than our current townhouse -those were FLAT km! I bike commuted to work ONCE last year and it was a bit scary to be honest. We live at the top of a HUGE hill and don't have any bike paths in our city so the traffic actually really freaked me out...
Michelle said…
The Arizona game was so fun to watch! They ramped up the energy in a big way. We were pumped.

I'm such a bike commute slacker. Matt rides to work NO MATTER WHAT the weather is like. always feel so lame when I hope into the car.
I love black bean burgers! I haven't had one in years! Do you have a recipe you suggest? Or do you wing it?

I take advantage of public transportation - sort of... I have to drive to get to a place where i can catch a bus (6 miles away). I really like riding the bus. It's a good way for me to catch up on emails, do a little reading, and relax a bit. But I do wish that I lived downtown so I that I could walk to work... that would be the ultimate commute!! But I am stuck in my condo due to the market! :(
Lindsey said…
I'm hoping to start riding my bike to work now that I have my new one! It's about 8 miles each way for me. I'm in awe of the everyday bike commuters also. I wish I could do it. I usually drive. Sonny and I work at the same place so we ride together sometimes. It makes me feel a little better about driving when we ride together.
Laura said…
I'd love to try making my own black bean burger, but worry that it would fall apart. Any tips for that?

I commute between a mix of walking and taxi - I walk as far as I can before I'm going to be late, then cab from there :)
LIsa and Laura: I generally use this recipe http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwestern_pumpkin_burgers.html

and sub out the pumpkin with black bean. I also don't use wheat germ.

An egg and/or bread crumbs stirred in after cooking the beans, onion, veggies and spices will really help GLUE it all together. I also find that using shredded cheese in the burger helps as well.
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run said…
Black bean burgers might be the easiest way to convince meat-eaters that a "veg" meal isn't so bad - they're a crowd pleaser ;)

Thanks for the good luck wishes - they worked! Besides some cool temps, it was the perfect day for a race and a PR!

On the last note - I'm a bike commuter 100% when the weather cooperates. If we were in a public-transit friendly city, I'd definitely do the bus or metro - I'm not a fan of driving to work, but just do it when I have to.
Danielle said…
Sassy, these look great! I looked up the recipe and it called for pumpkin puree. I'm just curious, do you mash the black beans or does it seem to all come together well? I can't wait to try them!
Hey all - Just wanted to give you a link to a post I did previously about making the black bean burgers specifically: http://justcallmesassy.blogspot.com/2010/05/black-bean-fiesta-burgers.html

Popular Posts