Foodie feast for two

It's fun to read everyone's commentary on the Nutrition and Obesity epidemic post. There are so many facets to the problem and ways to go about making change and clearly this community is passionate about healthy living.

Last night Michelle and I got together for a little foodie feast. It was the best kind. Delicious recipes from fellow bloggers, good wine and great company. I have to hand it to Michelle for suggesting the healthy recipes so I could bring up the rear with a little butter and sugar.

The clues of something good happening: lots of dishes being washed.

Appetizers

Mama Pea's Smoky Chipotle Zucchini Hummus to which beans were added because dang those chipotle chiles were HOT! The manfriend would have died trying the first version prior to the bean addition.

Main Course

Oh She Glows Vegan Walnut Lentil Loaf that you need to try. I have no close ups for you because a) Angela's are better and b) it's not a photogenic food.

And of course a classy dinner spread because who doesn't want to eat their masterpiece by tacky glue, a neglected smoke alarm and old Christmas cards?

Proof that we eat dinner more often in front of the television than we should.

Now forget everything I said about the obesity rates and sugar intake in our country and just walk with me for a minute down a coconut vanilla-infused path. Because it's quite delicious. And buttery. And who says you don't deserve a cupcake or two after you complete your recommended daily physical activity?

Dessert

Now that we've got that covered, pop over to Transplanted Baker's site where you'll find the most delicious coconut vanilla cupcakes you've ever tasted.




When you make these, we have two suggestions for you. 1) Use real vanilla bean for the frosting. The little black specks are not only adorable, but mighty tasty. 2) Add a little zest of a lemon to the frosting. It's the perfect zing to balance out the sweet!

Foodie confession: This was the first time I'd ever used actual vanilla bean. I know why. When the checker rang up my two tiny vanilla beans it cost me $1.47! These things are something like $75 per pound. Can you believe it? What's your foodie confession?

****
I've yet to come up with a system here on blogger that works for me to respond to comments the way I'd like. Someday, I'll move from blogger and self host, but that requires some web design and planning. And someday, I"ll have comments to which I can just click the "reply" button to a specific comment. But for now, I'm trying to comment after most people have said something or respond via email.

Do you ever go back to a post where you asked a question or made a strong statement to see if someone replied to you? I will occasionally return to a blogger's post if there was a specific answer I was looking for.

Comments

Foodie Confession: I've yet to make a hummus that really tastes GREAT, and I've never used Vanilla Bean! I thought Pine Nuts were the most expensive food per pound (that I've yet come across), but this takes the cake! ;)

That feast looks AMAZING.
Amber said…
Those cupcakes look AMAZING! I bet adding the lemon really takes them over the top!

Looks like a fun night :)
Emily said…
foodie confession: i live, eat, breathe, LOVE food but can't cook or bake to save my life.

I'm also in the process of trying to move to a better platform that allows me to respond to comments. i hate not being able to do it!

also, i want to live closer to you so i can join you for nights like these!
That meal looks awesome - I've been wanting to try that lentil loaf; now I'm going to have to do it!

I do check back on some comments (I have the same set up as you on my blog & wish I could show replies easier ..someday it will happen!!)
Heather-I feel you on the pine nuts! I think last time I bought a tiny little portion they were $26 per lb!!

Amber-yes, the lemon is A-mazing.

Emily-let me know if you're ever out west and girl, you've gotta get your rear into the kitchen. You'll learn to love it, I'm sure. :)

Andrea- yes, make it. I was surprised how much flavor their was to this dish.
Oh yum! That looks just delicious! What a great meal. And you totally earned those cupcakes!

I had no idea vanilla beans were so expensive! I've never used them before either.

As far as the comments question, I rarely go back and read through comments after I have commented - only it was a really controversial post or a post with big news or something like that!
Mama Pea said…
I'm sorry I almost killed your manfriend :)

We need to plan an Oregon blogger meetup!!!
Laura said…
I always subscribe to comment feeds when I comment. On the few blogs I read where that's not an option, I'll sometimes go back by adding the place in my favorites... but I find that most comment platforms allow you to just subscribe.

Popular Posts