Join me on the long run: Monterey style

Marathon training while you're out of town isn't always the easiest thing, but I wanted to be sure to get in 13-15 miles in Monterey not only for my training, but to enjoy a city the best way I know how. Saturday, I hopped out of bed and munched on a peanut butter cookie Larabar while getting ready for my run and blogging.

I headed out around 8:30 am, leaving the manfriend on his own. Because we were in such a beautiful city, I decided to carry my camera with me (and my water bottle) so I could capture the sights.

The clouds were in full effect when I started and the temps were high 50s or so. Perfect running weather!

I opted to head from our hotel down along the waterfront, past the marina and the wharf, through cannery row, past the kayak and scuba diving lessons, past Lover's Point, past lots of Team in Training runners and walkers, past Point Pinos Lighthouse and a golf course and finally turned around!







And I just happened to pass by my dream home!

Can you see the lighthouse?

I finished 13 miles in 1:53. I was tuckered out and ready to jump in the pool and find some grub after eating only a Larabar that morning.

While the run took me a while longer from stopping to take photos so frequently, it was totally worth it! I not only got my marathon training in, but some sightseeing too! I arrived back to the hotel to find that manfriend even did his own sightseeing while completing a 40 min run! Someone's becoming quite the runner.

Check out my new mug! I love the beach front on one side...

and the Redwoods on the other! Reminds me of our fabulous weekend and sunny California.


What's your favorite vacation destination to run in? I have to say, after this weekend, running in the Redwoods might not be beat (and I've even run while in Geneva, Switzerland so that's saying a lot)!

In case you missed my quick recap of our drive down highway 101, check out the BIG trees!

Comments

Amber said…
Oh wow - it is GORGEOUS there! I absolutely love exploring new cities on foot too :)
What a cool way to explore the city! I wish I could run 13 miles. My dang knee always gets in the way though of training for it.
Anonymous said…
Perfect way to sight-see!! I'm impressed by the picture quality while stop/running And the fact that you held your water bottle + camera ;) MOnterey is definitely on our list of Must-see places, even more so now.
Emily said…
Such a pretty run! I love experiencing new, fun places with a long run. Way to take advantage of it.
Wow - gorgeous pics! What a great way to see the sites!

I haven't ran anywhere all that 'interesting' while on vacation. Mostly because I wasn't a 'runner' when I went on most of my big trips. I def plan on bringing my running stuff to Paris. the temps will be mild there compared to our Feb temps so it will be nice to run along the Seine. :)

Popular Posts