Funkalicious

After seeing my photos from the duathalon, I got in a little mental funk. Don't you hate when you see pics of yourself that just aren't great? I'll admit, I'm picky, but I just can't stand it. I especially hate when I feel "round" in photos and I know how many hours a week I spend getting my sweat on.

Not only that, last week I had a few more drinks than usual (a few beers here, a glass of wine there). It makes me think sometimes that I need to reign in the bites of sweets daily and limit alcohol to just one night a week. But where's the fun in that?

There's not doubt that these negative thoughts have something to do with the sunny weather right around the corner and these articles I've been seeing about getting "bikini ready." Blah. And you know what those articles make me do? After cringing because a) I'm not going anywhere sunny in the next few months and b) even if I were, I'm NOT bikini ready, I realize "HELL yes, sign me up on your 30 day plan. I NEED to be bikini ready."

In reality, I know it's my mind's way of freaking out because I'm just feeling the need to be a little more toned and ready for shorts season. So my plan is to make it a priority to hit the gym 2-3 times per week to build those fat burning muscles, keep upping the pushups in the am, work on the core and mix in some more tempo sessions in my runs. And, I'm going to focus on eating what I need, not just what I want. Lately, I haven't had enough filling snacks in the office with me so I resort to leftover easter candy to fill the void.

Today I picked up a Jillian dvd that was on hold for me at the library. Can't wait to do some of her feel the burn inducing workouts! I've been contemplating buying one of the BL workout dvd's but I usually get bored with doing the same routine over and over again.

And I just found a happier version of those bikini body articles on msn. These tend to make more sense to me than the prescriptive articles telling you to "eat this for breakfast, this for lunch and do these 10 exercises." Enjoy! I also found it interesting that Amber mentioned her need to focus on her food intake today just as I was feeling the need to get this off my chest. Funny how these things happen.

And, I'm really loving this tank. I heart JCrew. Does anyone else just wait around for the best version of your favorite store's sale? JCrew changes their deals so often that I know as soon as I actually pull the trigger on something I really want, the next offer will be even better. Gah.

Truth be told, I'm a shopper, but I am rarely buying those items I pop into my cart. It's nice to dream, eh? I've been browsing a lot lately because I need to find a few dresses for weddings in August and you've got to shop early to find the right dress (IMO).

Motto for this shape up season: do your best. everyone has different bodies. breathe.

Comments

First off, I think you look wonderful! But I know we are all so critical of ourselves. I am the same way. Bikini season is shockingly close! I have a trip to Tucson in May so will be wearing mine pretty soon but I am just going to roll with it and not beat myself up if I don't like how I look. My clothes are still fitting fine so I don't think i have gained weight, but I know I could benefit from a bit more toning.
Amber said…
Ugh I have been having a lot of UGH days lately (hence my post the other day) the combo of not much running due to busy-ness and shin pain + Eric living with me again + crazy time of year = me eating A LOT!

But you're right, EVERY body is different. And besides, our bodies don't define us.

I really relate to how you feel about seeing pics of yourself looking "round" when you work so hard at the gym all week. I feel the exact same way! *le sigh*
Anonymous said…
Oof, winter brings with it many "funk" days...but you are So freakin active these days! I always come here and read about the 40-mile bike rides + pup walks + runs + morning pushups (um, oops, skipped those today on this end..ha dangit!) and Love it. And you seem *Really* happy :) which, really can't be beat by an extra muscular leg, arm, or extra easy mile....
Amanda said…
Great final thought... you ARE doing your best!

Blessings-
Amanda
Unknown said…
You are hilarious! Man, bikini is not part of my vocab. I'm a one piece girl...if a swim suit at all. It just depends on the day really.

Alcohol can really add up calorie wise...not cool.

Popular Posts