Thoughts on Marathon Training

As the summer nears, I've been thinking more and more about my training schedule for the marathon and how my current workout routine will change. Truth is, these legs will be logging a lot of miles and things like boot camp, Jillian, cycling and yoga will have to take a back seat more than I'd like. After all, there are only so many hours in a day.

Today, Runner's World sent out this Ultimate Training Plan article which got me paranoia thinking...should I be upping my midweek mileage now? When will I have time to lift weights? Can I really do complete REST days? Will my usual marathon injuries come back?

After printing out the article and looking over both the intermediate and advanced plans, I decided that yes, I like having a plan. But starting now is not necessary. I'm going to continue building strength, running longish on weekends, and maybe add in a few more hills and perhaps even some tempo work to my runs.

A side note on weather. Just a few days ago, the weather was like this. This is not my pool (ha-I wish). It was however, beautiful scenery at a small batch local winery manfriend and I visited last weekend.

And last night, the rain was pouring. Pouring so hard that every time I drifted out of sleep I woke to sounds of raindrops incessantly thumping on the roof. Kind of like the day in Berlin when A and I so brilliantly decided to take a bike tour around the city and ended up wearing these fabulous ponchos with our summer attire. All the more reason to extend that lunch at the Brawthaus before heading back into the monsoon.

I guess that's Spring for ya. In that case, I'm ready to ditch Spring like a bad prom dress. Bring on the sun, full time. Congrats to friend D who finished the Boston Marathon in 3:37! So impressive, especially for a girl who said she wasn't really worried about her time.

I also wanted to share a few posts I've really appreciated lately about not worrying so much. Because I'm a worrier. And you might be too. Greens For Good and Eat Live Run. This was a pretty random post, eh? I guess it's time for bed.

Comments

Amber said…
I start training on June 7! Eeei! I'm SO excited to be training again but I'm not excited about the back seat my cross-training is going to take. I'm going to try REALLY hard to find a balance between the running/training and cross-training. Although, I know ALL runners say that when training for a marathon! Lol
Anonymous said…
You're doing the Portland Marathon, right?? I'd think you'd be fine with a ~14 week training plan, given that your base is already pretty strong and hovering around 10+ mile weekend runs! :) Just sayin'.

I'm usually a Spring-Lover (it gets SO HOT and humid here in the summer), but I'm with ya! we're back down into the 60s - nooo thanks...
I usually HATE spring but we have had gorgeous weather here in Minnesota. It's probably the nicest spring I can ever remember. I hope the good weather continues into summer!

Like Amber, I start training on the 7th as well. I am looking forward to it. Since I took time off from running due to my knee issues, I put myself on a modified half marathon training plan to get my legs ready for marathon training. I kind of want to cancel my gym membership for the summer since it's kind of expensive and I know all my runs wil be done outside, but I know I need to keep up the cross training... I might try to find a cheaper gym to use this summer... We'll see...
David H. said…
Runner's World will have a way of freaking you out. That being said, a good base is important now before the official training begins. That doesn't mean you should change anything though. Do what feels right to you.
Danielle said…
Sassy, I feel like you have a great base! And there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy all of your other activities! I successfully trained for last year's Eugene with the FIRST marathon program where you had three really focused running days and the other 3 days were cross training or light running days. It was fantastic because it gave me the opportunity to really cycle as well. I probably ran 4 days a week and cycled 2. I feel like your less inclined to become injured if you're focusing on cross training--you won't develop muscular imbalances that many runners do. And you're less likely to become bored with your workout. Remind me and I'll pass on both the beginner and intermediate programs to you. Can't wait to see you kick some butt this year!
DOTR- Yes, Portland Marathon.

Danielle- Thanks, I'd love to see the one you used! I know I need to be careful about not running too much and since the weather will be nice, I want to be riding a few days a week. Especially since I hope to do the Blackberry Bramble 100 miler.

Amber and Lisa- are you two ladies following the same plan?

Popular Posts