The strangest thing I've ever encountered on a run

I've encountered some strange things on a run from people who don't so much as smile at you when you wave or say hi to a naked guy near the river. But tonight, was by far the strangest.

Our Thursday night SPEED group often runs at a bark running path that is a 1 mile loop around a bunch of trees and grass. Tonight's workout was : warm up, 1.5 mi @ tempo, 3 min rest, 1.5 mi @ tempo, 4x400s @ mile pace, cool down.

It is widely known in the running/biking community that when you're on a trail/path void of cars, you always stay to the right (and pass on the left). At the end of my first 1.5 mi tempo, I was minding my sweet 7:30 min pace and hugging the right side of the path when a petite girl comes running at me also trying to hug my side. I seriously edged as far over as I could thinking "surely, she's going to go around me, right?!"

Wrong! The girl slammed into me, pushing me into the grass. I was pissed/shocked and yelled "Oh my god!" Apparently we were playing football and she was the blocker. The only problem was, someone forgot to tell me. I'm pretty sure I was in the right here, but tell me, have you ever had anything crazy like this happen to you on the running path? And if not, what is the strangest thing that's happened to you while running?

Almost every runner I've ever encountered seems to be very nice, understanding, etc. but this girl either had a really sh*tty day, is just not nice, or is confused about the rules of running on a bark path. Okay, enough ranting for the eve! Tonight we had turkey bacon avocado sandwiches for din din, courtesy of manfriend. Yum! Happy almost Friday!

P.S. Stay tuned for Monday's fun giveaway! It may or may not be related my recent post on my maple flavored obsession.

Comments

siri said…
I still think the naked guy by the river would have to win for the strangest you've seen- that is, if it weren't in Eugene.
Wow. Did she apologize? I hope so. That is terrible. And dangerous. You could have gotten really hurt. Sheesh.

I don't see alot of strange things, but I do see alot of annoying things. I do alot of my runs on a path around these 3 lakes - which are also frequented by walkers and moms with kids on bikes/trikes/etc. I have had kids basically play 'chicken' with me. It must be a hobby for them to see if they can run into me? I actually got a slight injury a few years ago from dodging from a child.

I also get annoyed w/ people w/ dogs on long leashes. They forget that I can easily be tripped by their leash if they extend it to far & aren't paying attention.

As a result of these pet peeves, I try to avoid those lake trails, but they are my favorite. I woudl run on the biking trail but then I get verbally berated by bikers - which I totally understand (even though I stay off the trail whenever I see a biker).

If only I could have my own personal running trail.
Amber said…
Omg! I cannot believe that happened. Did she stop and say anything or just keep going? Wtf? So weird. I'm glad you're OK.

My biggest pet peeve is people who don't pick up their dogs shit! When I walk my mom's dog at home I ALWAYS have poop bags and clean up after him. I don't feel like stepping in dog crap when I'm out for a run. ESPECIALLY when the crap is right in the middle of the paved walking/running path!
Anonymous said…
Whaa?! You can't just run *into* people! My gawd. I ran into a lady who came to a halt at a water stop once during a race, and profusely apologized (although we were both kind of at fault) - and she was super nice about it (as normal runners usually are ;) ) . Wow, did this chick say anything??

at least you kept your cool, and got a tasty dinner to follow ;) ha. happy friday!
No, she didn't say sorry or anything. It was clearly on purpose. I just have to hope that karma will come back around to get her.

Popular Posts