Wide Awake

I woke up around 3:30 am with a bit of a scratchy throat. I hopped out of bed, grabbed a Vitamin C halls, chugged some water and went back to bed. An hour later I was still wide awake and famished. Don't you hate that? I could hear the growing sounds of people heading off to work, the train coming through town, and my stomach grumbling.

I was just about to get up and start doing something, anything when a wave of exhaustion hit me, thank goodness. These legs needed that extra few hours for sure. Yesterday since it was going to hit mid to high 60s here, I rode my bike to and from work, which made for a near brick workout again. I got home at 5:30 pm and was at the running group at 6.

I logged a slow 5 miler with just one minute of walking, but dang my whole body is feeling last weekend now. Thank goodness it's Tuesday rest day! Walking the dog and doing 15 min of a Dave Farmar yoga podcast is all I'll be allowing myself today. Hope everyone has a restful and happy Tuesday.

P.S. If you didn't get a chance to read the latest Kara Goucher article in Runner's World, go check it out! Such a good article. It makes you realize that if Kara Goucher has doubts about her abilities and speed, it's okay that we have doubts once in a while too. She does use tactics that work for her now though, like self affirmations. Does anyone else use those? Occasionally, during a speed workout (or marathon) I find myself repeating "You are strong. You can do this." and it seems to keep my mind in that happy place.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ooh, thanks for the article link! i forget to browse RW sometimes - just put in my log and get off. :) I definitely tend to get inside my own head sometimes; i know that saturday will be more of a mental battle than anything else.
Amber said…
I LOVED that Kara Goucher article! So good!

Yay for rest days and yoga. I enjoy Dave Farmar workouts but I have to admit - sometimes when I'm holding warrior poses his commentary ANNOYS me because I'm trying to focus through the pain. My favourite kind of yoga is power yoga with upbeat music! That being said, his yoga workouts totally kick your butt!
Anonymous said…
I woke up at 2am on Saturday night and could not get back to sleep! Needless to say, Sunday was ROUGH!
One of my commenters posted a link to that article in one of my posts. Haven't gottne around to reading it, but I plan on reading it. LIke you said, it's good to know that everyone has insecurities/doubts...

Hope that scratchy throat doesn't turn into anything!
Yeah, the sickness slammed me. My head is in a fog. Ugh.

Amber- I agree, sometimes Dave Farmar is annoying with how long he holds things and then tells you not to think about it. HA!

Popular Posts