Butter, sugar and Mama Moe make the world go 'round.

Last night (after a nice 5 miler) was a night of quick bakes for me. After enjoying mushroom, pepper, spinach, cheese omlettes and pancakes for dinner, manfriend as usual asked "what's for dessert?" Some days I just laugh, but tonight I wanted to whip something up.

Please enjoy manfriend's bisquick pancakes. The large one was a bit of mistake so he got that one and I got the three baby ones.


Looking at my recipes and the ingredients I had in the cupboard, it had to be something fairly quick and easy. Mama Moe's cookies were just right. They are not for those who shy away from butter, sugar, oats or chocolate.

Step 1: bring to boil 1/2 c butter, 2 c sugar and 1/2 c milk in stove top pan
Step 2: combine 3 cups quick oats, 1 c coconut, 1 tsp salt, 3-6 tbsp cocoa powder
Step 3: add 1 tsp vanilla to stove top mixture
Step 4: combine oats w/ butter and sugar.
Step 5: Scoop on to wax paper and let sit until hardened (or pop them into the fridge)

Holy moses, these things were addicting. I stopped at 1.5. Otherwise, I think I would have been buzzing on sugar for a few hours.

Then, it was on to some homemade energy bars. My stash of Clif, Luna, Odwalla, etc bars is low (I have one left), so I figured it's time I attempt making them again.

This involved approx: 1/3 cup almond butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup (all microaved together), in a large bowl I combined 1 c rice krispies, 1 c oats, 1/4 c chopped dates, handful dried cranberries, handful chopped peanuts, dash chia seeds, 1 tbsp shredded coconut. Mixed together and pressed into a wax paper lined 8" x 8" pan and put it into the fridge to set.



I guess it wasn't really a night of baking since I didn't use the oven once, but rather a night of assembling. Do you have a favorite no bake recipe?

And don't forget about the Oikos greek yogurt giveaway!Entries accepted until Wed night! Ooh, and I found out yesterday that I was the winner of Iowa Girl Eats' chia seed giveaway! You know what that means...more chia seeds will be sneaking into my food.

Do you ever notice how much more exhausted you are the day after a longer than normal run/ride/swim? Like Monday morning I woke up exhausted and all day at work I felt like I could have taken a nap right on my keyboard.

Comments

Amber said…
Omg I freaking LOVE those cookies. We call them "no-bake cookies" or "haystacks"

So freaking good!! :)
Anonymous said…
"rather, a night of assembling". ha! Um - I just discovered the easiest (and cheapest) dessert Ever (in light of the "grocery challenge") - 1/4 c oatmeal, 1/4 c water, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter and Light Chocolate syrup. seriously - so good! and super easy :)

I LOVE No-bake cookies, definitely Starring that recipe!
Yum, those treats look so good! My favorite treat to bake is banana bread w/ chocolate chips. I finally found a gluten free recipe that tastes just like normal stuff made w/ flour! I don't make it very often though, because when you live alone, that is dangerous....
Lisa - that's great. Banana bread is one of my fav's, however, we always eat all the bananas too fast so I need to just go buy extras if I want to make it someday soon. And gf baking is tough...i tried making a few things from this cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-World/dp/1569242739

for a coworker who was vegan. Let's just say, some things turned out and some did not. And I always take my treats to work to try to pawn them off on others so we don't eat them all. ;)

Popular Posts