Cross training Friday

This morning I decided to hit the gym because the last thing I want to do after work on a Friday is workout when I could be starting my weekend. I left the dog unwalked (the shame!), but fed, the coffee brewing and the manfriend sleeping.

I know a lot of you who workout in the am eat a small snack (or nothing) before heading to the gym. However, this girl needs her breakfast or else she'd faint right there on the gym floor. I made some stove top oats w/ ricotta cheese, almond milk, cinnamon, 1/2 banana, chia seeds, a scoop of almond butta and some coconut flakes mixed in.

In the spirit of these "brick workouts," I wanted to mix it up for an hour. Here's how my workout went: 20 min spinning (and reading RW and Oprah mags), 15 min elliptical w/ arms, 10 min weights (chest press, walking lunges, push ups, assisted pull ups, dips, seated squats) and finally 1/4 mile or 12 laps of swimming.

I didn't feel dead at the end, which is good seeing as how tomorrow I plan on doing a real brick workout with a run, bike and another run. But I definitely got my sweat on and out of the way. Back at my desk I had 1/2 banana, a handful of trail mix and a string cheese. That should do me for a while.

But you know how it goes once you get that furnace burning. Sometimes there's just not enough to feed the beast! Lately, I've found myself highly annoyed when my stomach just isn't satisfied only 90 min after a meal or snack. I guess that means I've either got to find some more patience and ignore it, or find some more filling options.

Well, the plans for the weekend involve a mentor training tomorrow morning, brick fun, dinner with some friends who recently got engaged, a LR with my trail running partner in crime and most likely some quality time in the kitchen. :) What about you?

And, you should check out A Foodie Stays Fit's post about her relationship with the scale. Very interesting. I used to weigh myself daily looking for a specific number, but now I have a much healthier relationship with the scale. I step on it occasionally, but I'm not going to agonize over the number good or bad because I know how hard I'm working my body. What's your relationship with the scale?

Comments

Jen Feeny said…
Sounds like you had a great start to the weekend! I am a morning workout girl through and through!
Amber said…
I'm the same way with the scale, I just jump on it occasionally. Right when I came back from my last trip home I had "gained" 5 pounds and kind of freaked out a little. A week later the 5 pounds were gone. Stupid scale.

I did a brick workout this morning too! 45-minute spin class followed by a 4.5 mile run. I had two pieces of toast with PB&J on them and coffee before hand and about 3.5 miles into my run I was FAMISHED! Guess I needed more fuel and I promptly devoured my overnight oats when I got to work!

Have a great weekend, love! XO
I don't even own a scale anymore. It's one great way to measure progress, but not the only way and I too was getting hung up on wanting to see a certain number. I tend to weigh myself once a week at the gym.

I have been biking & doing the elliptical at the gym this week & tomorrow I plan on swimming laps for the first time. I hope to incorporate 1-2 days of swimming into my schedule. Had my first PT appt and it went well. He gave me 4 exercises to work on that will help strengthen my gluts/hips/hamstring so hopefully I start to feel a difference soon!

Have a great weekend!
Amber-That sounds like a serious workout for a Fri am! Spinning classes alone are tough.

Lisa-Glad to hear you're following Dr.'s orders. That hip will be back to order in no time!
Anonymous said…
Busy weekend over there, hope the brick went well today too! I hear ya about that metabolism - I hate feeling hungry only ~2 hrs later, but those morning workouts always have my body burning through things like whoa! ;)

I used to weigh myself daily too, not anymore! I realized how much pressure I put on a number that changes daily, and that's just crazy. I'll weigh myself now and then, but mostly judge by how my clothes fit! :)

Popular Posts