Thai Tofu Splendidness

As I said earlier, Iowa Girl Eats was my inspiration for this dish. I'm a lover of things that are not only spicy, but thai and good for you. While it wasn't my first time cooking tofu, I was nervous about the whole egg scrambling amidst zucchini. Needless to say, it worked out just fine.

Let the chopping begin!


After about 20 min, the marinated tofu was baked!


As instructed, I cooked up the zucchini and then made a little well to scramble up two eggs.


Holy yum! Just look at that mix of flavors and fabulous display.


And in case you're wondering what my favorite Pinot of the moment is...
I present to you Grochau Cellars Commuter Cuvee Pinot Noir 2007.



I found this one at our local posh market for just $16. Although it's a bit spendy for my taste, it was definitely worth it. Sometimes you spend a few more $ on a bottle of wine only to find that "yuck, Two Buck Chuck would have tasted better than this," but not this time! I give Grochau Cellars two thumbs up! And love that it's a local winery!

The tofu verdict: I'm a huge tofu fan. It's nice having a cheaper, healthier option to chicken or ground turkey once in a while. But it is also a fine line in attempting to feed men. Man friend said that while the meal was very flavorful, he wasn't such a fan of the tofu (his first time trying it) and would have preferred less of it on top of his noodles. I say, we'll try tofu a little more often and hopefully it grows on him. What about you? Have you tried to pawn tofu off on unsuspecting meat lovers?

Thanks for a great recipe, Kristin!

Comments

Jim McDannald said…
I am more of tempah kind of guy than tofu. It has a little more substance to it. We usually store it in the freezer and it thaws pretty quickly. It's a quick healthy meal mixed up with some veggies, rice, quinoa and healthy sauce.
Kerry said…
I do a fair amount of tofu and Joe likes it pretty well. Usually he cooks it. We do have a method that most people seem to like, though I've never had it the way you cooked it (I will try that method; it looks good!). Admittedly, this method is definitely higher fat, but I find that most tofu meals aren't particularly high fat anyway, so I don't feel guilty. You press the tofu to get rid of the extra liquid, heat up a drizzle of oil (canola and sesame) in a pan,cut the tofu in little pieces, throw it in the pan and fry it up (you have to let it go for awhile without tossing it in the pan. It takes time to brown), and once it's crispy throw a bit of soy sauce over the top, toss it a bit, and you're done! How'd you like that all in one sentence? :)
I am nervous about doing tofu... Sometimes I like it in dishes, sometimes the consistency bugs me... This looks delish, though! Love the zuchini!

Popular Posts